AC issues & Drive Mode Unavilable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DontLoveItYet

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Expedition with 8K miles. One day later I ran the AC and it wouldn't blow cold air. After driving with AC on for about 30 miles it suddenly began cooling. The following day, same thing. Didn't blow cold at first, but finally switched over to blowing cold air.
Day 4 of Ford ownership--made a 2.5 hour drive. Didn't even try the AC as weather was cool. On the way home, switched AC on and it cooled right away. 1.5 hours into the drive back (with cruise control on and AC working) vehicle suddenly cut out and cruise control went off. Dash showed "Drive Mode Unavailable". Pulled over to the side. Gauges looked fine, other than it showed a little wrench. I was about 20 miles from a dealership so I proceeded to go there. Could not switch Drive Modes. Could not use Cruise control. Engine would cut out, losing power 2 more times on the 20 miles to the dealer.
Now dealer can't get my fairly new Expedition to show any codes. They said I'll just have to drive it and have it towed in the next time it has an issue.
Not sure if the two issues are related. Anyone have experience with this?

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have some electrical gremlins too, it's annoying as hell.

Go to another dealer, lots of them are dumber than a box of rocks

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only time I received the “drive mode unavailable” was after programming with Forscan. A little bit of driving would reset it. Programming with Forscan causes modules to reset. Maybe one of the modules has an intermittent connection or isn’t working correctly causing a rest. I’m not sure if Forscan can tell on the fly if a module is acting up. I honestly have very little knowledge of this.

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive modes is one of the things controlled by a module on the number 36 fuse. Mine was blown by aftermarket dvd installation. Still trying to get that straight.

spiderman865

Reaction score
Long story short, I have had "drive mode unavailable" intermittently since the day a purchased my 2019 Platinum brand new w/22 miles. Been back to the dealer several times. They pull the codes, replaced a module, that didn't work. Thought it was a harness getting wet so the rigged up a oil bottle to cover the harness, not dice. Still happening. Now I am working with Ford on a replacement vehicle. Love the truck when I am able to drive while not at the dealer, but something is not right and no one is able to figure this out.

99Redcobra

Reaction score
What was the final outcome? Did you get a replacement vehicle?

OP
OP
D

DontLoveItYet

Reaction score
I finally took it to a dealer that wouldn’t quit searching for the issue. They ended up speaking to Ford engineers and were advised to reprogram the drive train. The Ford engineers said they’d only seen this issue one other time. We are now 5000 miles after the reprogram, and it has not had any further problem. (Knock on wood!!) My AC issue was a separate problem.

spiderman865

Reaction score
Next Saturday I am swapping out my 2019 for a 2020.
Today was the day. Swapped the 2019 for the 2020. So far couldn’t be happier how the whole process worked even though Ford dragged their feet and I had to stay on top of them. They really want to discourage you by dragging out the process.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally took it to a dealer that wouldn’t quit searching for the issue. They ended up speaking to Ford engineers and were advised to reprogram the drive train. The Ford engineers said they’d only seen this issue one other time. We are now 5000 miles after the reprogram, and it has not had any further problem. (Knock on wood!!) My AC issue was a separate problem.

What was the AC issue attributed to?