AC making ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spicoli

Reaction score
My 04 EB Expedition makes a ticking sound whenever the AC is on. It is a ticking sound, not a clicking sound...kinda sounds like a high voltage sparking sound...doesn't sound like a mechanical sound. It only does it when the AC is on, as soon as I turn i he AC off it goes away, sounds like it is coming from the compressor, but it is not the compressor clicking on and off and the AC works great all the time, just the annoying sound. Any Ideas, anyone had the same problem?? Thoughts?

Thanks

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird, never heard of that. Is it a continuous sound (when the AC is on), or does it do it at random?

OP
OP
S

Spicoli

Reaction score
It is a constant sound, anytime the AC is on. Sounds like it is coming from the AC compressor...

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
it sounds like the air gap needs ajusting. The air gap is a space between the coil and the hub which when electric is applied closes an turnd on the cluch this gap is .14to.16 thousanths