Adding BLIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I'm not new to the Expedition (on my second truck now, been an owner since 2010) I'm still learning about how to do work on it. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the programming side of things. It's thanks to forums like this that I can even consider attempting a project like this one.

The amount of info shared by people here is incredible. If it weren't for the fact many of us work together, few of these projects would ever get completed. I am very thankful to those who know much more about this than I do and are willing to share some of their experience and expertise. :D

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent work!

I would have just bought an Expy with BLIS, which I did, twice, but I get it.

While BLIS wasn’t standard on the Limited it was pretty common. Our 15 had it, and so does our 17. There was an option pack, like 301a, that added Nav and a few other things. BLIS wasn’t included, but I never saw one with 301a that did not have BLIS. 301a included the power running boards. Maybe find a wrecked one with boards to get all the donor modules you need.

Also, just PM me the module you want the programming from and I can pull it via FORSCAN and send the file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey there! I did send you a PM (at least as best I can understand how those work on this site). It was about tire pressure display. :)

When I was shopping for my current truck, I looked at a lot of different 2015-17 models. I found only one or two Limited models that had BLIS. At least where I am, it was as rare an option as the CCD suspension. I never once saw BLIS on an XLT.

I find it pretty irritating when Ford offers certain convenience and/or safety features on much cheaper vehicles (Focus, Fusion, etc.) but won't make them available on the top-of-the-line Expedition. We had a tire pressure display on our 2015 Explorer but you can't have this on Expedition? Something like BLIS can save you from getting into an accident so at the price point for these trucks it should be standard equipment. We have it on our '18 Expy and it's great feature.

I guess it's one of those things where you might not really need it but, once you have it, you can't live without it. LOL

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will take a look at my messages.

Good luck in the BLIS. Keep us in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 15-17 can you have both the blind spot mirrors and BLIS mirrors or just one or the other? On the earlier 3rd gens no BLIS but there were optional blind spot mirrors which help a bit. This wasn’t available in my model year and I find myself double checking often. I find BLIS is especially useful in the condition I drive someone else’s vehicle that’s not adjusted for my height since it catches what you can’t see when driving blind lol.

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The BLIS mirror glass is different from the blind spot mirrors so no you can't have both. BLIS was a standalone option even on XLT but required the 202A package. That means it came on mirrors that were power with memory and had heated glass and integrated turn signals.

On 2015-17 Limited models, you get power memory, heated, auto-dim, turn-signal and power-folding mirrors with blind spot glass as standard. Adding BLIS, though, deletes the blind spot glass as far as I know.

2015-17 King Ranch and Platinum models had BLIS as standard equipment.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone wants to tackle taking their mirrors apart, you could install your own BLIS LED pretty much anywhere you want. This way you could have your blind spot glass *and* BLIS at the same time.

I installed my own LEDs on a 2005 Grand Marquis where I added turn signal glass and also custom puddle lamps and forward-facing turn signal LEDs. It was a LOT of work but it was also a fun little project. The hardest part was getting the mirror glass out without breaking it. That was not easy!

Here are some pics of my custom mirrors:

SignalMirror-Daytime_72dpi.jpg CustmPuddleVsNewOEM_Annotated72dpi.jpg CustomPuddleFwdTurn_Annotated72dpi.jpg

The LEDs are called "bolt" LEDs. They are weatherproof and pretty much bullet proof but they aren't very small. They go in a 1/4-inch hole. I installed one facing down for the puddle lamp and another facing forward to make a front-facing turn signal.

These things are bright! You can control that by controlling the voltage and current flowing through them. So, you could have max brightness for a forward-facing turn signal and then whatever brightness level you want for BLIS. The advantage of doing this is your BLIS warning would be easier to see. The factory LED doesn't really get your attention -- especially during the day.

If I were going to do this I'd isolate the ALERT output from the SOD module and use that to drive another circuit. You can do this with something like an transistor or an optocoupler. It would allow you to have as much current as you wanted in the alert LED without overloading the module.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
When backing into my driveway I sometimes get an audible "cross traffic alert" coming from my left or right behind me. That would be a good trick. It's the small bushes that mark the driveway entrance. I pay more attention to the alert backing out of parking spaces. I habitually back in everywhere if I don't need to access the rear hatch for bulky items or groceries.

Lights in the mirrors are redundant to proper mirror adjustment.

-- Chuck

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, we lived for decades without something like this and most of us survived. LOL But, there were still plenty of mishaps. Always good to have a backup in case you aren't paying attention or miss something! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger