Aftermarket Anti-Sway Bars - Hellwig and Belltech from stillen.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all know that the expedition isn't the best at handling with its high center of gravity. Without lowering the truck, there aren't many options to improve the handling, especially without reducing ride quality. Anti-Sway Bars are a great option for improving handling without reducing height or ride quality.

For my 2003 RWD 5.4L XLT I got a Hellwig bar for the front, and a Belltech for the back. Both of these were the thickest bars available. I ordered them from www.stillen.com. Stillen has them shipped straight from the manufacturer, and they were good with answering my questions about which parts were included. I don't remember exact prices because I did this a few months ago, but you can check the website for the price. Each bar was about $100 to have installed (I know it's an easy installation but I don't have the space, tools, or the time). They both came with great instructions for either you or your mechanic to follow.

As far as if they are worth getting... definitely! I wish I had got them way earlier. They definitely do their job in reducing body roll around the turns, and even while driving straight the truck feels much more sturdy. If you want to improve handling, I would say without a doubt you should do this upgrade.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I might have to do this someday. I've always thought about doing this, but wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make.

100$ each, so it took about an hour each?

Thanks for the review.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. I might have to do this someday. I've always thought about doing this, but wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make.

100$ each, so it took about an hour each?

Thanks for the review.

Yes, I was charged an hours time for each, I don't know how long it actually took the mechanic though. The bars also come with polyurethane bushing that will last forever, the rubber bushings that came out with the old bars were all cracked and starting to disintegrate.

MOOOOOPS

Reaction score
I've been thinking of installing anti-sway bars on my Expedition for awhile now. I checked the site you provided, and for my Expedition(2000 XLT AWD) the only anti-sway bars I see that they have are Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. Do you know if Hotchkis is a good company, and if their anti-sway bars are worth the $577 they are selling them for? Thanks.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=HOTSPRTSW1&c=SU&year=2000&make=FORD&model=EXPEDITN

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been thinking of installing anti-sway bars on my Expedition for awhile now. I checked the site you provided, and for my Expedition(2000 XLT AWD) the only anti-sway bars I see that they have are Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. Do you know if Hotchkis is a good company, and if their anti-sway bars are worth the $577 they are selling them for? Thanks.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=HOTSPRTSW1&c=SU&year=2000&make=FORD&model=EXPEDITN

The main thing to look at is the bar thickness. The Hotchkis bar is the same thickness as the Hellwig I got for my front, and their rear is even a little thicker then the Belltech. I think the reason the Hotchkis are more expensive is because they have adjustable end link mounts (and a thicker rear bar). If they were available for the 03 I would have got them instead. The bars and bushings will last forever so I think it's a good investment, not like expensive tires you will have to replace in a couple years. If you plan on keeping your truck for awhile I would say get them.

MOOOOOPS

Reaction score
The main thing to look at is the bar thickness. The Hotchkis bar is the same thickness as the Hellwig I got for my front, and their rear is even a little thicker then the Belltech. I think the reason the Hotchkis are more expensive is because they have adjustable end link mounts (and a thicker rear bar). If they were available for the 03 I would have got them instead. The bars and bushings will last forever so I think it's a good investment, not like expensive tires you will have to replace in a couple years. If you plan on keeping your truck for awhile I would say get them.

Thanks alot for the info. I'll definitely buy them.

gto78

Reaction score
I'm all for helping prevent roll, but what does it do to the ride softness? In a straight line does the truck feel tighter, does it bounce more over small bumps? Does the truck feel like it's bound up or spring loaded?

I have a 350Z and to be honest it really handled horrible when I first got it. I had traded in my 2001 celica which literally handled like a go Kart, and was seriously disappointed in the 350Z taking corners. The Z felt like a cadillac, it would roll/sway/lift/squat etc. I installed Hotchkiss sways and turned the Z into a whole different animal. It almost completely eliminated ALL sway and roll. The only problem is that now the car feels spring loaded, bound up, and not comfortable to ride in. Every pebble in the road feels big.

I don't want to ruin a comfortable riding expedition, but I do want to reduce roll.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
gto78-
I don't know why it had those affects on your Z, but with the Expedition it's not like that at all. After I installed my sway bars I only noticed positive affects, which is why I think they're such a great upgrade. When driving in a straight line it does feel tighter and like you're more in control. Over bumps I would say it bounces less because it eliminates more of the side to side movement you get when going over an uneven surface. I definitely don't get the spring loaded feeling that you described, it still feels as soft as when the stock bars were on. I do a lot of freeway driving and a comfortable ride is important to me, and the bars only added to the comfort.

Last edited:

gto78

Reaction score
That sounds great. I want a good combo of smooth ride for long trips, and also just enough firmness to feel in control, mainly when changing lanes or turning corners. The truck will be used several times a year to tow a pop up from mid florida to Key West, about 5 hours each way, with my wife and two dogs in the truck. The rest of the year we just use it on weekends and I drive it a few miles to work.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had JUST installed my superchip a few weeks back and I really wanted to push my expy on these 35 mph curves which my father has gone in excess of 130mph on with ease with his Vette (This is a road that only ever has people on it for this sort of shit and maybe an occasional lost idiot). now I know expys are no Vettes but i was really pushing the car HARD and making it through these corners at 70, then 75, then 80, and along came the sharpest turn and about 82 mph. I want to just say I forgot how steep that curve was and it was dumb of me Expeditions ARE NOT sports cars! I started braking hard and when I did the roll was horrendous, left and right weaving and just impossible to correct. needless to say I ran off the road and into some tall grasses but stopped not a foot into them. :( Would a sway bar and of course some lowering springs on an 03 Stabilize me better if I was to ever need to slow down and steer at that speed again or would it decrease my steering and cornering abilities?

(I do occasionally haul trailers that need at least a 3.5" drop hitch and sometimes need lower than a 6" drop hitch, which I don't even Have a 6" drop for! :()

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman