Aftermarket Coil replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm replacing my coils on my 2003 Expedition XLT, 4.6 and am inclined to purchase a $50-$60 set instead of OEM or Accel. I'm a low mileage driver. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take your chances. They work out for some but QC is def not there. Higher DOA and higher failure rate over time. Accels are not much better, they are a complete waste of money IMHO.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply. I will take your opinion in high consideration. From what I'm reading on the forum, the coils are a imminent problem with these motors.

R&T Babich

Reaction score
... From what I'm reading on the forum, the coils are a imminent problem with these motors.
I have a 5.4L 2003 Expy and a 6.8L 2002 Exped that use the same coils.
The only coils I have had to change was one that cracked at the base of the connector and another that had a broken tab after the spark plug blew out.
The boots and springs have been problems.
You can get a NAPA boot/spring 702418 for under $8 ea.
I change the plugs,boots & springs every 50k and retorque the plugs after 10k.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 5.4L 2003 Expy and a 6.8L 2002 Exped that use the same coils.
The only coils I have had to change was one that cracked at the base of the connector and another that had a broken tab after the spark plug blew out.
The boots and springs have been problems.
You can get a NAPA boot/spring 702418 for under $8 ea.
I change the plugs,boots & springs every 50k and retorque the plugs after 10k.

If the COPs are not bad a spring/boot change makes more sense than changing them on just preventative maintenance. Especially over cheap replacement COPs.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I replaced coils 1 and 7 which were identified from the DTC codes. I did inspect the boots and they seemed fine with no apparent cracking or dry rot, etc. The symptoms have been eliminated. Thanks for your replies.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the shop is telling me to replace all of them, do you guys recommend this or can i just change the one triggering the code? thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire