2014 Expedition XL Fleet - Aftermarket Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polar Bear

Reaction score
Hello, somewhat new expedition owner here. I have a 2014 Expedition EL with the XL Fleet trim and I am in the process of swapping out the stock head unit for a double din sony. I recognize that this was the most basic trim level and received none of the sync options, just an AM/FM radio with a cd player.

I have seen a lot of harnesses that are more involved (idatalink maestro) and allow functionality to steering wheel controls and other features, but this vehicle didn't have those options. I have ordered an aftermarket Metra harness to wire into the sony harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WTF34?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Some of the pins from this harness don't match up exactly with my vehicle's harness, but I am guessing that is to be expected when ordering something that's somewhat universal?

I have been researching and looking through the forum, but I cannot figure out what to do with the wires feeding the 16 pin connector. I only have two wires feeding the connector, MS CAN + (gray/orange) and MS CAN - (Violet/orange). I am assuming I cant just omit these wires because they are hooked up to the stock head unit, but I am unsure how to wire them into the new head unit or connect elsewhere for functionality.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire