Aftermarket wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just my $.02 but I had the ridge grapplers on another vehicle in 295/70/18 and absolutely hated them. Loud, wore unevenly and were brutal on ice. Again just my experience.

So, what do you recommend as an alternative?

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Unsure on what sizes these come in but I prefer Goodyear Duratrac, Toyo Open Country AT, Cooper AT3 or Falken Wildpeak AT3. We went with the Hankook Dynapro ATs on my wife’s expi and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go off road where there are sharp rocks. Take the Toyo AT and AT2’s off your list. They chunk really easy and then they fall apart shortly after. I have not tried the AT3’s. May put them on my truck this winter. Toyo RT’s are the same way as the Ridge Grapplers. Terrible on the slick and wet roads. I would have to use four wheel drive to launch and receive my boat if the ramp was wet.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on what you spend. You can get a Method 202 forged race wheel that runs $1100.00+ each. Or a full set of Icon for the same price. But standard street wheel to wheel. It depends on the wheel size. But the strongest methods are 3640 vs 2750. I ran Methods on my Raptor and never broke one or had any problems with them. They where the lighter 2100 lbs rated wheels. Kinda doubt you will be drifting sideways at 50 mph and go through a ditch or rock garden in a Expy at that speed.

Luis Gomez

Reaction score
I know my Expy is the older gen but as far as ride change the truck felt smoother with the wheels but that could be more of the tire issue. My factory wheels are 20's on BF goodrich T/A KO2 tires (my winter setup)and my 22 which are Asanti Alpha 5 22's are on yokohama Parada Spec X (summer).Expy winter_LI.jpg Expy Summer.jpg

Reaction score
So instead of Ridge Grapplers, I have had 4 pairs of Terra Grapplers between an F150 (Company vehicle), Explorer and an MDX. I really liked those tires as a great all around - but legitimate AT. I got 75k miles out of one pair on my F150 with lots of towing. If I were heavier into off road and overlanding, I would choose the BFG's that get a better durability rating like Fozzy said. I have owned KO2's. But if your driving is more on road with just soft road or light off-roading... the Nitto's seem to get better on road characteristics in most reviews. Living in Utah at the foothills of canyons I drive in heavy snow, mountain roads, desert non maintained roads... I really love the Terra Grapplers and they did really well with freeway driving also while not being too loud for what they are.

All that being said, I just picked up a Gen 3 CR-V and put the Toyo Open Country AT 3's on. Everything on that tire was tweaked for the better in September compared to the previous AT 2 model. Better side walls, lugs, compound etc. Since Nitto owns Toyo, my hope is that the AT 3 is now closer to the G2 Terra Grapplers which I love. The new AT 3 is severe weather rated which the AT2 was not as noted by the 3 peak mountain snowflake marking. So far I have loved the AT 3's on my CR-V and it helps the car do more than it was probably intended to do. AT 3's will likely be going on my Expy when the time comes.

As for wheels, I also put some Method Rally 502's on the CR-V with the AT 3's. Great combo and I have always loved Methods. The particular Method wheel I have been eyeing for my Expy is the 314 in black. Please buy the 314 in black and post pics so that I can see what they will look like... that would be a great help for my decision making... lol.

Sorry for the novel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition