Aftermarket Y-Pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have been woundering the same thing but i know you will have to get mil eliminators or your check engine light will stay on

i have been thinking about replacing my whole exhaust system from headers y pipe and a cat back exhaust system

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get a Magnaflow collector/y-pipe like this one:

http://images.autoanything.com/images/products/med/exhaust_systems/magnaflow_y_pipe.jpg
...then have a shop delete your pre-cats.
Or you can gut the pre-cats.
Or you can gut them and run a pipe thru them.
Or you can put long-tube headers on, as these will also eliminate the pre-cats.

You can eliminate the pre-cats and not throw a code.

But removing the main cats will throw a code unless you turn off the rear O2 sensors with a custom tuner, or MIL eliminators as noted.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Headers and a catback do wonders for power. I bet replacing/removing the cats and all that non mandrel bent piping will help even more.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup.
Make sure the diameters are correct for the year/engine in your truck.

I believe that one is good for the factory pipes to fit in-to. You'll need to have the shop fab up the 3-inch outlet all the way to the exhaust tip, plus a muffler if yo ugo aftermarket. It should be the same cost or less than a cat-back system.

That's the route I went with before I went to duals.

OP
OP
W

wrangler45337

Reaction score
'99 5.4 Expy Issue NEED HELP NOW

Well, finding a Y-Pipe is the least of my worries now. I was at work yesterday and I pulled up to a stop light and my truck just shut off like I turned it off. No noise, no jerking, no nothing. I tried and tried to restart it but it wouldn't even kick the starter. I thought that maybe the alternator went out but voltage was still awesome. I ended up getting the starter so hot I damn near cooked it.

After 20 min I finally got someone to tow me with my towstrap to a parking lot. I and a fellow co worker went to Advance Auto Parts and got a new starter. Still wouldn't start. I took off the serpentine belt and tried to turn the crank by hand with a 3 foot breaker bar, but it wouldn't budge. But it was making great oil pressure right when it happened. The tach dropped alittle and I looked down at the gauge cluster and then it shut off. I am starting to think that maybe the torque convertor locked up.

The starter tries to turn over the engine but might get one or two turns before it stops. It acts like it is trying to turn the motor and tranny when you try and start it in neutral, and I could roll it in gear with no problem with the key off. I have to have this truck for work since I work out of it. If anyone has any ideas on what it could be, or ever heard of similar problems let me know. I am desperate to get it back on the road. My cell is 937-260-6943 if you want to call and ask me more.

OP
OP
W

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Well I tried a few things today in hopes of finding it to be my torque converter. It turns out that my bottom end did indeed lock up. I am now in the process of pulling the monster 5.4. I guess while I have it out I might as well do the headers and cams and build it up the way I want. Thanks to everyone who gave me info and ideas to look at. I post pics of how bad I trashed it as it comes apart and install photos as well.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't go crazy with the cams.... comp's smallest ones would even be a bit much for these heavy trucks.... Crane and crower make some nice modular cams that won't kill the bottom end.
Matt R