Aggravations, Ford's retained ownership.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John H Haley

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone shares my desire to choke (only a desire, sensitive folks, and deserved) someone at Ford or in the bureaucracy of our government for these idiotic unnecessary aggravations. Features I had to buy, behavior I detest, making me feel as if Ford has retained some ownership in the truck. In no particular order.:

1. The double honk. Maybe I'm in the woods checking a game camera, just pulling the card. Would like to be low profile. Maybe going into a gas station store to get a drink leaving passengers or my dog inside, or in my garage just remembered my cellphone. I get out, leave it running, take two steps to the front of the truck and . . . HONK HONK. I'm maybe two feet from the horn. Game is spooked. People turn and stare at the rudeness. Especially in the closed space that is my garage, I want to retaliate against the truck. The explanations I have heard for this hold no water, so spare me. This is some arrogant busybody environmentalist saving the world from my exhaust, and he needs to be slapped up side the head.

2. Truck turning off when truck stopped. Enough said. What does this feature, an unnecessary mechanical complication, cost?

3. The foot operated liftgate. It has closed on me several times, and I have never had success using it intentionally.

4. The engine shutoff when parked and left running for 15 minutes or so. If it's hot (I'm in south Georgia) and granny or my dog (pretty much always along) is with me, I leave the truck running when I go into Lowe's, etc., not knowing how long I'll be gone. This feature can only be defeated on a one-time basis, which means you must remember to do it every single time you park. Forget once, as you will, and the result could be gastly.

5. The interior feature of the alarm that sets when the truck is turned off. I'm in the woods, headed to my deer stand, being "vewy, vewy quiet," and 100 yards from the truck the alarm goes off. Or I'm in the grocery store and a customer tells me my alarm is going off. The dog moved. This, too, must be defeated on an every time basis. Can't wait for this to happen during a funeral, at the cemetery.

6. The castration of the keypad. The first thing I noticed is that it is now under glass, no tactile feedback, much harder to operate. Then I found it wasn't me not touching it right, it was Ford rendering it useless. It only works if the key is within two feet, meaning it only works if you have the key on you, meaning somebody at Ford needs . . . a good talking to?

I probably forgot something, and other than these great aggravations and a screwy head unit (random happenings), it is a great truck. The kicker to me is not that these aggravations are so aggravating, but that Ford did not allow the customer to defeat them, turn them off, other than on a one-time basis. That really gets in my face, it seems very personal and intentional. You will comply . . ..

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can disable the double honk using forscan: I know it's annoying to have to do that, but if it bugs you so much, it is a pretty easy way to fix it. There are a couple of other features you might want to enable, while you are at it.

Yes, the lift gate is less than reliable. Best option (again, annoying you have to do it) is to disconnect the antenna.

Engine shut off: push the button. Or, there are a couple of options to 'permanently' set it to not do that.

The alarm defaulting to on? Well, that's probably the best way for the vast majority of people.

The keypad works fine without the key nearby: perhaps you have a technical glitch?

Most of these features are what would satisfy the majority of people (intermittent tail lift gate not withstanding). Most of them can be defeated with a bit of work. I'd investigate that if you are so against them

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the first things I did was disable that annoying double honk with ForScan.

I agree the 15 minute shutoff is annoying. @sjwhiteley suggested I permanent fix... what is it? ForScan? I didn't see the option when I first used it.

Tailgate sensitivity is horrible... it closes on me anytime I put in my trailer hitch or drop the trailer on the hitch.

There was recently a discussion here about the interior alarm being able to be defaulted to turn off the interior sensors. Don't hold me to this but I think I read that the 2020+ can do that but not 2018 and 2019.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of that BS is government mandated. The rest you can disable through different means.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the vehicle shut off even if the key is present? I have a 3rd gen. We idle sometimes between games while running the AC. This may be specific to the 4th gen. On my 3rd gen, if you leave the key in the vehicle after exiting, you can lock it using the keypad to keep it running.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the vehicle shut off even if the key is present? I have a 3rd gen. We idle sometimes between games while running the AC. This may be specific to the 4th gen. On my 3rd gen, if you leave the key in the vehicle after exiting, you can lock it using the keypad to keep it running.
this would be handy if true.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does shut off even with key in vehicle. My wife takes our dog in to agility class and I wait in the vehicle for an hour, it prompts you to hit ok, and will continue running if you do, otherwise it shuts off.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
snip

Most of these features are what would satisfy the majority of people (intermittent tail lift gate not withstanding). Most of them can be defeated with a bit of work. I'd investigate that if you are so against them

People don't need, and the majority don't want all these excess electronic doodads. It's just gimmicry to confuse buyers into spending more money on an overpriced vehicle. God forbid they might buy a car without hands free tailgate opener or running boards that fold up if they work at all once ice and water get into them

You cannot tell me that folks would rather have an enormously complex turbo 6 than to have an equally powerful V8.

There are 23 year old Expeditions still motoring along with 250K miles on them. These last generation are going to fade fast once the electronics wear out or people cannot troubleshoot minor failures.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk