air intake noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericnj75

Reaction score
the other day i replaced my stock intake with a new one . took it on a test drive sounds and feels great the only problem is when i punch it and let off the gas fast it makes a noise like a boat horn and its loud what could this be.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air intakes increase noise.

Most of the resrtiction in factory intakes is due to sound-related measures.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Umm, i don't know about you Pronstar but if my intake was making a boat horn noise, there would def be something wrong. I have had intake on every car i've ever owned, and they have never made a noise like that.

They might make a noise when you shut off the engine, and give your engine a better sound while accelerating, but a boat horn...never. Check all of the fittings and make sure nothing came loose and you aren't leaking air from anywhere.

Also, what is the brand for the intake?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have a 99 4.6 with a K&N intake and I don't get any kind of noise when I let off the gas, except the one from my wallet hehe.

Was it a cheapy one? If not it depends on how loud it is to worry about it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boat horn? Like a fog horn? I'm pretty sure that's not normal.

The only sound I sometimes get from my AFE intake is a slight and subtle whistling sound.

Was it one of those cheap ebay intakes? Also, are you sure it's from your intake?

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to throw down the money and get a name brand intake for your truck. I know that ebay sells a lot of cheap ass intake knock off's and they are horrible. Basically a metal tube with a cone filter.

I take it your intake didnt have a brand? and what was the price? if it was less than 50 bucks you might want ot put your stock one back on and order a new intake.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My K&N way back in the day had a resonation at one specific RPM that was annoying...that's what I was referring to. It sounded like a honking noise.

I can't recall the exact RPM, but I could feel it resonate, and grabbing it with my hand would cause it to stop...but I could feel the increased vibration at this specific rpm....it was just above idle.