Air Intake Silencer Delete - $0.00 How-To 1st Gen '00 4.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEDIDADDYCHRIS

Reaction score
My feeble attempt, and it took maybe 20 minutes!

WP_000348.jpg

1. Remove the shroud, unplug the vaccum lines, and loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body. Locate and unplug the temp sensor on the accordion-shaped rubber adapter. Now remove the sensor itself...it's stubborn, but you'll thank me in a minute. Loosen the hose clamp at the air box, and pull the whole assembly out.

WP_000337.jpg

2. Contrary to Ford150.net's very helpful article, I didn't need a Dremel nor did I need to remove the glued-on accordion-shaped rubber adapter; I just stuck a long flat-head screwdriver in and pried inbetween the tube and the housing. It eventually came loose. Work it on out with the screwdriver and needlenoses. As you can see, I used a needlenose ViseGrip, which was VERY helpful. Now you see why we removed the temp sensor!

WP_000338.jpg

3. Once the mouth is past the accordion ribs, grasp it firmly...

WP_000340.jpg

4. And VOILA!

WP_000344.jpg

5. Reassemble in reverse order, minding the details (count your parts!). Since I didn't take the accordion adapter off, no adhesive was needed. TOTAL COST FOR THIS MOD = $0.00 While you're at it, toss in a K&N fliter and whip out a Gotts Mod. It's almost as simple...................

WP_000348.jpg

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very nice. i always wanted to do this. but i got a cai instead for cheap so i couldnt pass it up. good write up though.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did this a while back. Deepened up the intake somewhat and it doesnt sound so much like sucking air through a straw no more.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it improve any kind of response? Just wondering.. ibmay just do this today... never heard of it... lol early morning fixins! Nice write up man definitely understandable instructions for a simple **** like me...

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
OK I may sound stupid here, but is this silencer at the throttle body end or at the end that attaches to the air filter?

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well lets just say today this was a major fail!!! I got soooo pissed!!!!!!!!!!! Took everything apart and the stupid silencer would not budge!

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did this a couple months ago along with a Gotts mod and tune up. Deepened the intake noise and I have better throttle response. I'm sure alot of that comes from the tune up though. Took e awhile to get the silencer out, it was really in there.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay tried this again today with more success. .. got it out.. now it sounds tawesome definitely deep throaty growl cant wait for exhaust another 2-3weeks.. cant someone help me tho? I feeo as though my throttle response is delayed a bit, big time Iwhen punching it.. am I just crazy? Ive been told thT...