Air Ride vs Standard Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacktail

Reaction score
I have a 2006 eddie bauer expy. Not the original owner.

How do I determine whether or not I have the air ride vs standard suspension?

Are there easily identifiable parts I can recognize to establish which one the vehicle has?

I do not believe there are any dash switches to turn air ride on or off. But, I am not sure where it would be.

I want to swap out my front upper control arms but am not sure which ones to buy as they are sold for either standard or adjustable suspensions.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
No one has any thoughts on this or has dealt with it before?

I searched the VIN but the only thing that came up for the suspension was that "motorcycle suspension type" was not applicable.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one has any thoughts on this or has dealt with it before?

I searched the VIN but the only thing that came up for the suspension was that "motorcycle suspension type" was not applicable.
take some pics of behind any wheel, better yet take pics with the wheel off and post it.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can see the airbags just by looking at the suspension where the shocks would be. If you see coils, you dont have airbags. The 2nd generation actually makes it easier to tell from the 1st or 3rd gens.

OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
Thank you Yupster Dog and dlcorbett. Appreciate the input.

Here are some photos I took.

Sounds like I have the standard suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 10

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea std springs. The air springs changes the ride to luxury car levels. The Navigators on air springs ride so much smoother than the expy on coils.

OP
OP
B

blacktail

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. This helped me know which part I needed.

If anyone has a picture of what an air ride suspension looks like, please post it to the thread.

It could help a future forum browser looking for the same answer I was.

Mike Norrell

Reaction score
I had my 2006 Eddie Bauer Expy changed from air suspension to coil suspension yesterday (06/26/2023). The right front airbag had gone bad last week and was sagging, although it would pump back up while driving. The left side quickly followed and the ride became very much like a rabbit hopping (very bouncy since the rear bags were all that were working). The whole job cost a little over $1000 dollars (parts and labor) as opposed to probably nearly $5000 to replace the whole air ride suspension (if I could even find all the parts... I don't like to do aftermarket parts if I don't have to. The ride NOW is not quite as smooth, but, I saved around $4000. For a 17-year-old truck, it rides pretty good, and beyond the suspension, it was/is mechanically sound...looks good too. I think I'll keep it.

LouG921

Reaction score
We just changed the rear suspension to coils, front is still Air Suspension. Seems to work fine, but 'check suspension' alert is going off every 10 seconds. How to disable the system for the rear shocks only?
I know there are some electronics experts here that can figure what the sensor wants to see.
thanks,
Lou
'06 Expedition Edie Bauer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire