Air silencer 3.5 eco boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff, In your opinion, any gain other than sound from removing them?

IMHO, J is correct.....more sound only(not counting very misc increases) but since pressure remains constant in a vessel, there wouldn't be any increase in performance since the pressure raised by the impeller(intake side) would remain the same regardless of any sound suppressors which are really designed to "break-up" the flow of the air column to reduce the sound generated by fast moving air....once air exceeds around 4ft per sec, it begins to get pretty noisy!!

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree 07.....each of us bought and paid for their truck....so do as you wish!

FWIW:

The trick to increasing power in a pressurized engine though, is usually done via changing the speed of the supercharger drive or by raising the allowed boost for a Turbo system. The reason being that the manufacturer has already modified for the increased loads generated by turbos/supers and doing the "old school" mods like raising compression would have devastating effects on a turbo or super'ed engine at full boost....

In my Kompressor(Supercharged) car, I changed out the crank pulley to the largest that would fit and still allow the toothed supercharger belt to work. It raised the boost from approx 8psi to 11-12psi which translated to around 25BHP for 800 bucks or so....cheap HP for a car at around 30 bucks per BHP.

jeff

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Owners of early 90's 5.0l Mustangs, all removed the air silencers. Basically, at wide open throttle, you get a "whoomm" sound and 2-3 horsepower. However, turbos can produce an annoying, "whoosh" sound. Either way it will not hurt anything, testing it, without it.

jdeshong

Reaction score
Owners of early 90's 5.0l Mustangs, all removed the air silencers. Basically, at wide open throttle, you get a "whoomm" sound and 2-3 horsepower. However, turbos can produce an annoying, "whoosh" sound. Either way it will not hurt anything, testing it, without it.
The sound of spooling turbos is music to my ears so im definitly taking mine out if it helps to hear them more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I’m taking the bold chance of wasting $450, ordering the aFe Stage 2 with the lid for a 14 F150, and praying that I’m right about the intake plumbing on these trucks being the same other than the airbox and the connector tube.
Update on this intake. The factory intake housing on our trucks has the clips that hold the top down on the left if you are looking at it straight on (three 0f them) and the inserts on the right. aFe stage two for the F150 has a different style OEM intake box where the clips are in the front of the box and the inserts are on the back. Gonna have some serious fabrication going on there if you plan to still run it

Kwik SC

Reaction score
Hey guys, stumbled upon this thread in my quest about removing the silencers and thought id share some input. I recently did a K&N drop in filter, turbo adapters, plugs, tstat and a tune on the truck. To say it sounds like a completely different truck is an understatement. Factory stock when driving around so no one in the family can ***** about noise and when you get on it, it sounds.. angry. There's no other word to describe it. The turbos howl since its running 20 psi now and the adapters act like the manifolds are ported. Going to pull the silencers out of this as well and I think the truck needs absolutely nothing else to be done to it. Perfect daily grocery getter.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turbo adapters?

I thought it was well documented on the f150 forum that these aren't silencers?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Turbo adapters?

I thought it was well documented on the f150 forum that these aren't silencers?
Turbo adapters are probably made by SPD performance and are slightly larger than stock allowing a drop in exhaust pressure and better flow. $120 for the pair I think. The plastic pieces of junk in the intake tubes are just silencers for the turbos. I took mine out prior to installing my k&n I take system and the turbos sounded a little more whiny but probably placebo. I reinstalled them when I put my k&n system in mostly because they said to leave them in place in the instructions and I hear the turbos even more now. Probably attribute that to the increased airflow. With this cold weather my performance has gone up but of course mpgs are down to about 12-14. I’ve got 35s too though

So plastic ones in intake = silencers

Aftermarket adapters = what tbey claim 21hp and 17 torque

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman