Air silencer 3.5 eco boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwik SC

Reaction score
Turbo adapters are probably made by SPD performance and are slightly larger than stock allowing a drop in exhaust pressure and better flow. $120 for the pair I think. The plastic pieces of junk in the intake tubes are just silencers for the turbos. I took mine out prior to installing my k&n I take system and the turbos sounded a little more whiny but probably placebo. I reinstalled them when I put my k&n system in mostly because they said to leave them in place in the instructions and I hear the turbos even more now. Probably attribute that to the increased airflow. With this cold weather my performance has gone up but of course mpgs are down to about 12-14. I’ve got 35s too though

So plastic ones in intake = silencers

Aftermarket adapters = what tbey claim 21hp and 17 torque

Before I flashed the tune I ran the truck with just the turbo adapters. I can tell you they work. The tone of the motor became deeper and seat of the pants the truck definitely felt peppier. The problem is they are quite expensive and tedious to replace as the cross-member, front driveshaft and various other items need to be pulled in order to R&R them. Of course I went all of 2 miles before I pulled over and flashed the truck after but, during that time I was impressed with how the truck felt and sounded with just the adapters in place. I also installed a K&N drop in filter instead of an air intake as I didn't feel like advertising to the dealership there are mods on the truck. MPG's are still in the air as I just did these mods on Wednesday and haven't had a chance to get more than 30 miles on the truck. Now I just wanna pull the silencers to see how much of a difference its going to make. The thing really howls @ 20psi lemme tell ya lol

BTW off topic did you have to go with a lift on the 35's? I'm trying to put a bigger tire on the stock 20's and trying to avoid a lift if possible or at least the smallest one that will allow the truck to clear the 35's

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Before I flashed the tune I ran the truck with just the turbo adapters. I can tell you they work. The tone of the motor became deeper and seat of the pants the truck definitely felt peppier. The problem is they are quite expensive and tedious to replace as the cross-member, front driveshaft and various other items need to be pulled in order to R&R them. Of course I went all of 2 miles before I pulled over and flashed the truck after but, during that time I was impressed with how the truck felt and sounded with just the adapters in place. I also installed a K&N drop in filter instead of an air intake as I didn't feel like advertising to the dealership there are mods on the truck. MPG's are still in the air as I just did these mods on Wednesday and haven't had a chance to get more than 30 miles on the truck. Now I just wanna pull the silencers to see how much of a difference its going to make. The thing really howls @ 20psi lemme tell ya lol

BTW off topic did you have to go with a lift on the 35's? I'm trying to put a bigger tire on the stock 20's and trying to avoid a lift if possible or at least the smallest one that will allow the truck to clear the 35's
You will just hear the turbos more.

How did you get 20psi? That from the tune? What tune did you go with, I’m looking at 5 star.

And yes, I have a Readylift 3” SST kit. You will need at least 3” in front to clear 35s height wise. Mine are 11.50” wide and just barrrrely rub UCA at full lock. 3/8” wheel spacers will take care of that

Kwik SC

Reaction score
You will just hear the turbos more.

How did you get 20psi? That from the tune? What tune did you go with, I’m looking at 5 star.

And yes, I have a Readylift 3” SST kit. You will need at least 3” in front to clear 35s height wise. Mine are 11.50” wide and just barrrrely rub UCA at full lock. 3/8” wheel spacers will take care of that

The tune bumps the truck up to 20psi and depending on what stage you go with can be more than that. I went with SSi Tuning and am running his Stage 2 Trump X3 tune. They have an.. interesting reputation but the tune speaks for itself. Drives factory until you get on it. Then its a different more angry truck. Before the tune I had a BoostMax and PedalMax connected to it and it is zero comparison. And the reason i went with SSi Tuning was because the exact mods for the truck in the video below were: colder plugs, 170* tstat, Stage 2 tune, drop in filter and turbo adapters.

Also how big of a tire do you think I can fit without resorting to a lift? Im just looking for a more aggressive stance.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s quite the claims SSi is making. 429hp 610tq. That’s pretty hot for a stock 3.5 bottom end. Not sure what to think about the turbo adapters. Nice gains for the price but seem like a ton of unnecessary work.

Stock I was running around 14psi. With my 93 performance tune from 5 star it bumped it up to 18. It’ll shit and git now

I did a good amount of research before I decided on tuning and never came across SSI. interesting.

Kwik SC

Reaction score
The turbo adapters cost me $480 to R&R them from the mechanic. They had to heat the studs on the turbos to get the old ones out along with everything else. I'm just glad i didn't try to tackle them myself or i would gotten into a whole mess of trouble with how hard it was to swap out.

I was always iffy about 5 star for the tuning. It felt to me like they were selling canned tunes so i waited until i started seeing on YouTube who was messing with these trucks. Ssi won hands down for me.

Ssi can take the Expedition to 600rwhp if you so desire. Just gotta be willing to listen to their advice about the mods. Shawn the tuner/owner is a crusty old skool tuner but he knows his stuff. He's constantly improving on the tunes and has so many options for tuning its unreal. Hell im about to ask him to have a go at my Lightning as well. Im not trying to advertise for the place but check out their website and Facebook group. Its informative and quite entertaining if nothing else. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess my question is was your tune built on a dyno? Meaning your Expedition on the dyno. Unless your in the shop with your vehicle on the dyno then we're all running canned tunes. Id be super wary about an emailed 600hp tune no matter if I had the supporting mods or not.

Ive looked at the site and its interesting. Lots of info. I see they make tunes for the SCT X4 that I have. I may hit them up for one of their tunes to add to it. I'm not looking for max hp/tq. The chances of me putting my Expy on the track is slim to none. I have a CTSV for that. Its just a family hauler I wanted to squeeze a little more power out of that's all.

Its good to hear from another person on here that's tuned though. Not a lot of us on here

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would seriously question any company that would post this video to their YouTube page!!! LOL, that’s embarrassing! A white boy talking about "dat n***a ain’t got s**t" Wildly unprofessional. We all know here that I don’t mind dropping an F bomb here and there, but come on. You would never find anything like that on my companies web site or social media.

Kwik SC

Reaction score
I would seriously question any company that would post this video to their YouTube page!!! LOL, that’s embarrassing! A white boy talking about "dat n***a ain’t got s**t" Wildly unprofessional. We all know here that I don’t mind dropping an F bomb here and there, but come on. You would never find anything like that on my companies web site or social media.
As i said in my previous post their reputation is quite interesting and the Facebook group is quite entertaining. Im not looking to defend my purchase OR my choice of tuner. That video you posted up has an explanation behind it one of which I'm not going to go into as its stupid and petty in the tuner world. I didnt post in this thread to go into detailed explanation about the tune or tuner. All i care is that it worked 100x better than the boostmax.

As far as dyno time in my Expy, no it has not seen the dyno, nor does it need to see one for the tune. I bought the JMS Boostmax and Pedalmax cause i saw a few dyno runs and video showing a 90hp increase. Turned out to be baseless claims and to top it off downright dangerous when it fails on you in -1 weather.

And you know as well as i do owning a high performance vehicle a canned tune is nothing more than some timing added and rev limiter change to the stock pcm. This is not that. Not even close.

Btw guys there are MANY tuners out there for these trucks. Dont need to rely on just 5 star for a tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kapios