air suspension fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lopezbmx86

Reaction score
bought coils from a 99 and put them in my 97.
remove sway bar. loosen shocks. drop axle. remove bags. insert springs.

no more air ride suspension probs.

easy fix. now i post for others. thats how a forum works...

common problem and now theres a solution...

MrLight460

Reaction score
What about the shocks in the front? Aren't they controlled by the air ride as well? Did you turn off the air ride switch? Thanks in advance. I'm only asking because I have a 99 with air ride and I'd like to convert to coil springs with a leveling kit.

exceldetail

Reaction score
I absolutely hated the air rise on my 2000. Went to springs and wonder why I waited.....Turned air ride off (lower passenger side kick panel), still have the "chk susp" light on, but I can deal with that for the time being. Wonder if I can just turn it off with my OBD ?
I also need to get back in there and add some spring isolators to resolve a rattle. Other then that, real happy with the ride!

MrLight460

Reaction score
Did you have to change anything with the shocks, front or back? Are they air controlled at all? Other than being "air" shocks? In other words, I'm asking this... To do the conversion, are coil springs the only thing necessary (other than turning off the air ride switch)? Thank you in advance!

Tim

ez2bgman

Reaction score
Bump cause I am in the same boat, with a 4x2.

This is how I did it on my 2000 Expy 2wd.

Turn off the sir suspension switch. Jack vehicle up. Remove rear tires. Support rear end. Remove lower shock mount bolts. Remove lower sway bar mounts and let sway bar swing free. Lower rear end all the way down. Pull out pin on top of air spring. Remove air line and solenoid then pull out air spring. Put new/used colis in and reverse the steps to put it all back together.

I order the Monroe conversion kit, Part #90005, from RockAuto.com. it came with the rear coils and front/rear shocks for $210 shipped to my door. With a friend, we did the rear conversion and replaced all 4 shocks in about 2.5 hours.

You have to leave the air suspension switch off. The check suspension light will reamin lit, but you can remove the bulb if it bothers you. There's another method to turn the light off that enables you to leave the suspension switch on (so you can retain speed sensitive steering), but it involves removing part of the dash and cutting a wire from the air suspension control box.

Hope this helps. It's a relatively easy job, but is best done with a helper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lopezbmx86

Reaction score
Before and after

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 2011-03-28 16.30.37.jpg
    2011-03-28 16.30.37.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 572

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am assuming you only had rear air as opposed to 4 wheel air?