Air suspension. Right side raises, left side completely deflated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so today I was suppose to go on a 500 mile round trip with my 2006 Limited. Got in and drive 2 miles and got a “check air suspension” message. And noticed the left front was completely flat and only the right rear looked to have raised. While the other two weren’t raised, they also weren’t lowered like the left front.

Then later after messing with fuses, the air compressor comes on after I hadn’t heard it come on earlier. But it sounded weaker than usual. After it shut off I noticed it seemed odd lol.

I get out and look, and BOTH passenger side struts were at driving height, while both drivers side were nearly on the bump stops. Could this be a height sensor issue? If so I figured that would effect either the front or rear. Not one side or the other.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Had to cancel the road trip so I can hopefully figure this out before Monday lol

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you done any suspension maintenance, off-roading, or heavy trailering lately?

you should have three air levels; but i'm speaking from Gen1 experience: park=all the way down, trim=raised up for driving, and trim + = trim plus an inch for four wheel drive and reverse.

spray some soapy water on your t's and see if one is leaking. Could be a sensor, but odd that it's on opposite sides.

i'd also turn off the air suspension while it's running, wait a few minutes, then reactivate it and see what happens.

have you replaced front air shocks &/or rear bags?

I had an air union coupler go on mine and nothing to the rear and on the bumps as you describe. it's under the master cylinder ( on mine anyway.)

this could also be a sign of the compressor failing. I also replaced that too.

let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t done any off-roading with it or heaving towing. No suspension maintenance. Having touched it.

Could the cold cause a height sensor to fail? Drove it yesterday in 38 degree while it poured rain. Parked it then it dropped to single digits with ice and snow. I jump in this morning and this. I’m going to let it sit in my parents heated garage for a couple hrs just to see if a thaw will help too

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest culprit is usually the bags themselves. I've owned 2 Lincoln mark 7's and a town car. It is strange that the left side only dropped though. As the other member states, get a spray bottle full of soapy water, and spray down both left bags as well as any hose connections. You may have to run a diagnostic test on the Air spring system before you start throwing parts at your problem. In my past experience, usually a pair of air springs fail on the same axle, but stranger things have happened. If someone jacked up the left side without disarming the system, could have done some damage. Keep us posted with your findings, Moose!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest culprit is usually the bags themselves. I've owned 2 Lincoln mark 7's and a town car. It is strange that the left side only dropped though. As the other member states, get a spray bottle full of soapy water, and spray down both left bags as well as any hose connections. You may have to run a diagnostic test on the Air spring system before you start throwing parts at your problem. In my past experience, usually a pair of air springs fail on the same axle, but stranger things have happened. If someone jacked up the left side without disarming the system, could have done some damage. Keep us posted with your findings, Moose!

Thank you much. Well right now it’s sitting in my friends 55 degree barn until tomorrow. I just find it odd that this happened on our first ice storm since I owned it. Plus the front bag on the passenger side wasn’t raising either, but then later in the day it did.

See, when I came home Friday, it was pouring rain so the whole under carriage got soaked. Then I parked it and temps dropped to single digits before it could dry, so I’m hoping the ride height sensor maybe got caked in ice. Idk. I’ve just never had a single issue with this suspension in the 13 months I’ve owned it, then this.

But, if it gets too complicated I’m just going to do a coil over conversion so that way I don’t have to worry about diagnostics anymore. Lol. Just slap the coil overs in and be done with it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air ride is incredible when it works, but when is the operative word. Your going to lose some of that floaty ride, which I personally love! Do your homework on spring conversions, not all companies are the same. Personally I'd keep the air springs, I've never had any luck converting things, theirs always a trade off, and usually not for better!