Air suspension system conversion to useable on board air system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those of us with air ride and did a coil spring swap, did anyone else take the tanks and lines out? I didn’t and wondered how much work it would be to just re-wire the compressor and put a fitting on the lines off the tank to use a hose off a bumper or something? Thanks guys for the help I know that someone can answer this question and if it’s not to hard hopefully a lot of guys can have onboard air for pretty cheap

Sir William

Reaction score
I'll second this request. I've thought about it too, but wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle or if the compressor would have the cajones to do much.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
let me get this straight, you want to re purpose the compressor as an actual air compressor for utility like airing tires up?

if so, it isn't impossible you will just need to wire a switch to control the relay that powers the pump so that the truck can't control the pump via it's logic control. from there you need to know what the max pressure the pump is rated to pump and then get your plumbing done for the air lines

Sir William

Reaction score
That's basically what I'd figured, but I assumed somebody had done this already and could shed some light on the subject. I didn't want to go in blind....especially if it meant throwing $$ at the issue with no potential positive outcome. :D

But yes, having some onboard air to fill a tire here and there, etc. would be nice. I don't expect it to run air tools or anything of the sort, but it's there, it's mounted, it's paid for....so if I can use it? Yay me!

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to keep my air bags until the lines decide to quit.

That seems like an awful amount of work when a portable air compressor is cheaper and allows better flexibility (not tied to the truck). I have both a 12V cheapo and a 110V craftsman air compressor.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to keep my air bags until the lines decide to quit.

That seems like an awful amount of work when a portable air compressor is cheaper and allows better flexibility (not tied to the truck). I have both a 12V cheapo and a 110V craftsman air compressor.

well you're not wrong there ha, if I had swapped my bags for coils I would do it for more of a display of my engineering prowess :Rock on:, that, and it would make for quite a space saving design seeing that it's already tucked in nicely and there would be really no need to unravel then repack all the equip that would be with a portable one.

cheapjeep

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know a lot about the Expedition compressors but Jeepers a few years back were fooling around with the compressors from failed Lincoln car systems and gave up because they didn't put out enough volume.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interested in this as well. Swapped the bags for coils over a year ago, but the compressor and lines are still there. I could use the compressor to slowly fill up my air horns tank, though I'm not sure it's powerful enough to give me the 100 PSI i need.
I'm embarassed to say I don't even know where the compressor is located.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad too see this idea took off ill look in to tomorrow some more while I'm taking the trans out. The tank in the first gen is on the driver frame rail in the back so I feel like its totally possible to run a fitting to the bumper with a hose inlet just wonder if the compressed is capable I wonder how much psi goes through the rear bags when towing and such.