Air suspesion - actig strange - 98 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan

Reaction score
Air suspesion - acting strange - 98 Navigator

Welcome:)
Small question about air suspension in Navigator.
Previously I owned the Range Rover (2 actually), so I'm aware how the air suspension works and what to look in case of failure. However...
My Nav, when not used a few days, stays high, do not drop, so I assume that airbags and valves are ok. But:

- when driving, the compressor turns on rather often - maybe every 2-3 minutes, and continues to operate for 1-2 minutes...Then goes off, and after another 2-3 minutes turns on again. When driving longer distance - say over 20-25 miles, the 'check susp' lamp is coming on on the cluster (car still is acting normally - no dropping). But when I stop and start engine again - this light disappears again. My theory is that compressor has too much work and gets over heated... But it's just the theory
- when the compressor turns off (while driving), I can hear from the compressor short 'puff-psst' of the air - the same kind of sound like you can hear from the bus or big truck from the air break system. It sounds like it was over pressurized and releasing some air.
- just after the Nav is parked and engine turned off, I can hear clicking sound (that's normal), and then long 'ppssssssss' of the air, coming from the front passenger side (can't tell if it comes from under the hood or from behind the right wheel). After 15-20 seconds, the Nav is 3 fingers lower on the passenger side than is on the drivers side (the wheel arch is 3 fingers closer to the tire). And it stays in this position, doesn't drop further.

I know, that when parked, it should drop a bit ( 1 inch?), but shouldn't that be evenly and not just one side?

I ordered the appropriate manual on dvd, but maybe you would have any idea?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply - no I did not - previous owner said he serviced a whole air suspension about a year ago - and as far as I can tell - the bags and compressor looks almost new - no tears or wear on bags, and the label on the compressor (genuine Ford part) is still snow white. I was on the diagnostics but there is no errors on the computer.
Can I heck them in other way that by connecting the computer to the car (which was done already) ?

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I heck them in other way that by connecting the computer to the car...

Check them visually. They can pop loose. Compare the driver and passenger side height sensor attachments, connections, etc. Do a Youtube search for this common problem and to see what to look for.

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Will certainly do - just after it stops raining :)
I was digging over the YT and internet for that - but all I found was about rear leveling/dropping problems - Haven't found anything about R/L height differences.
The strange to me is that it clicks and releases air only on the passenger side - drivers side stays as it was during the ride...
Any what about that strange compressor operations - got and ideas ?

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the drivers rear solenoid is bad. You should hear clicking from both rear air bags as it kneels, also, as the air bags vent, the air is routed back and realeased at the compressor. As for the compressor running, you have an air leak somewhere........

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Well clicking comes from around the car - I can hear it on booth sides and also from front and back.
As for the solenoid - on Ford-Trucks I found info, that there is only one for front, and the airlines that goes from front air shocks, goes to air t-junction and then by one airline to the compressor. Any idea/way to test the solenoid if it works properly ?

And whole problem is front related - the rear seems to be more or less even, and holds the air as it should.

Last edited:

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, sounds like the right front air shock is leaking. Mine did the same thing, sprayed it with soapy water and found nothing, after my compressor burned up, I found the leak was inside the shock. Replaced shocks, bags and compressor and now it works great.

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
That was the first think I did to find the problem source - I have an experience with the RR and leaking bags is quite common problem there. No leaks from shocks or airbags. And also I have an invoice (from ex owner) with 2 shocks and 2 airbags replacements fitted little over a year ago..

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this happened to mine exactly as you described it.

leak was in the mid-lower part of the airbag. once the bags are full and car is parked, the bag tends to seal the leaking portion of the bag because of how the bag flaps operate. so it appears the bags are ok.

before you buy anything, I suggest just to jack the rear end up and physically look at the sides of the bags and if my hunch is correct, you will see splitting on that exact portion of the bag