air to coils question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really sorry to double post this, but I never know who's gonna be on what site now...

:sorry:I have a really stupid question here and its gonna be really easy for someone I'm sure. I want to do the air suspension to coil spring conversion with 3" spacers and I see a few kits that include shocks, but several that dont. Do you need to do the springs AND shocks? Or is that just something you CAN do?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would change the shocks. but if your doing spacer dont get shocks. buy separate and ask them for the 3" longer model. so get coils spacers and shocks. thats what i would do. i dont like my shocks so im keeping them when i get my spacers, but i will get longer shocks when it comes do.

OP
OP
Petrini

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would change the shocks. but if your doing spacer dont get shocks. buy separate and ask them for the 3" longer model. so get coils spacers and shocks. thats what i would do. i dont like my shocks so im keeping them when i get my spacers, but i will get longer shocks when it comes do.

Where do I find the best deal on 3" longer shocks homie?

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok you cant trust me too much on this one but ive done research and to have just shocks in the front to replace the air shocks, since youve already did the tt you would need a standard suspension 6 inch lift shock. 4 inches to make up for the air shock height difference compaired to a stock standard suspension shock and 2 inches to give you travel with the TT.

for the rear just get the 3 inch spacers and new springs, no shocks. order standard suspension shocks that have like a 2 inch lift if you can find any.

if it was me i would use 6 inch lift shocks up front and 2 inch lifts in the rear. get the springs and buy the shocks seperate.

remember 6 inch lift is for the 4 inch higher shock mount that is used with the air suspension and the extra 2 inches that will allow you to have all the travel that you lost from the lift

OP
OP
Petrini

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok you cant trust me too much on this one but ive done research and to have just shocks in the front to replace the air shocks, since youve already did the tt you would need a standard suspension 6 inch lift shock. 4 inches to make up for the air shock height difference compaired to a stock standard suspension shock and 2 inches to give you travel with the TT.

for the rear just get the 3 inch spacers and new springs, no shocks. order standard suspension shocks that have like a 2 inch lift if you can find any.

if it was me i would use 6 inch lift shocks up front and 2 inch lifts in the rear. get the springs and buy the shocks seperate.

remember 6 inch lift is for the 4 inch higher shock mount that is used with the air suspension and the extra 2 inches that will allow you to have all the travel that you lost from the lift

So I have to replace the fronts too???

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have to replace the fronts too???

You would only need to replace the fronts if you have the 4 corner air ride. Some of the 4x4's came with just the rear air ride, and if that is the case then all you would need to do is change out the rears.

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get a kit with shocks, ask them what the extended length is. I did the conversion a few years back, and just put 2" spacers in, and the shocks that came with the kit (21-1/4" extended) were maxed out as soon as I put it back together. Ended up getting a set of Rancho's that were 23-something extended so I could actually drive it again.

OP
OP
Petrini

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would only need to replace the fronts if you have the 4 corner air ride. Some of the 4x4's came with just the rear air ride, and if that is the case then all you would need to do is change out the rears.

I did not know that. Guess I better crawl under and take a look. I'm assuming I will see coils up front if I only have rear air???