Airbag light not coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vandep32

Reaction score
The airbag light on the dash is not coming on. I just failed a safety inspection because of this. Does anyone know why that might not come on? Or any possible solutions to check for?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First you need to see if the light is blown out You will have to remove the instrument cluster to check or replace the bulb

OP
OP
V

vandep32

Reaction score
All bulbs look good. I also checked the owners manual and there were not any fuses associated with the airbag system. At least none that were labeled.

I was also reading that it could be the LED bulb soldered into the cluster. I ran a test of the dash lights by pressing the odometer reset button and turning on the car at the same time. The airbag light did not illuminate during the test. How can i troubleshoot this further?

What bulb would i need to buy to re-solder and fix this issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vandep32

Reaction score
I checked that fuse too. It was good. I feel like that shouldn't be the issue. How would a fuse just affect one light within the instrument cluster?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked that fuse too. It was good. I feel like that shouldn't be the issue. How would a fuse just affect one light within the instrument cluster?

The lamp for the air bags gets it signal from a switch internal in the Restraints Control Module. If the fuse to that module was blown the switch wouldn't be able to close in order for the lamp to come on.

OP
OP
V

vandep32

Reaction score
So i found out while taking apart the entire instrument cluster, that there are several dash lights which are hardwired into the circuit board. The airbag light is one of them. It had exploded or broke somehow. So now i just have to re-solder a new bulb and then i should be good to go. I will update tomorrow.

OP
OP
V

vandep32

Reaction score
So i successfully replaced the led bulb. When i plugged everything back in it began to blink in a sequence. It would blink 3 times, pause for a few seconds, then blink 4 times. This cycle happened 5 times before the light stayed on for good. Can anyone tell me what code it might be giving?