Alignment issues? Specs anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the alignment specs should be for a 2004 Ford Expedition NBX (Offroad version of a XLT)?

I just changed the springs and shocks to Rancho QuickLifts (they are great BTW.)

Here's the issue. I'm getting excessive wear on the inside of the tires, I have been to two shops the last 6 months and they both say it's within specs. I'm concerned about my camber adjustments.
I went into Les Schwab today to have it looked at, and I specifically asked them to fix this issue, because I can visually see how off the wheels are. All 4 were tipping in, noticeably, they did fix one wheel, but all three others are off.

Front Left is:
Camber -.9 (specs say -1.1 - 0.5)
Caster 5.1 (specs say 4.3 - 6.3)
Toe .12 (specs say -0.03 - .17)

Front Right is:
Camber 0.0 (specs say -1.1 - 0.5)
Caster 5.0 (specs say 4.3 - 6.3)
Toe .03 (specs say -0.03 - .17)

Rear Left is:
Camber -1.1 (specs say -1.7 - -0.2)
Toe .17 (specs say .0 - .2)

Rear Right is:
Camber -.9 (specs say -1.7 - -0.2)
Toe .17 (specs say .0 - .2)

Most of the setting seem to be at the tail end of the specs. Should I be concerned with this, especially when I still notice a visible tilt in on the tires?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at those numbers alone I wouldn't be too worried. I looked at the specs from the alignment I just got done and they are fairly similar. With the change of shocks and springs did it raise the truck at all? If it did, you may need an alignment kit to get more adjustment. I had to put one on my truck when I lowered it. Check Rockauto.com for camber/caster bolts and plates. Those may give you the adjustment you need. But like I said, your numbers aren't too far off of mine and I haven't noticed any where over the last 6K miles.

Victor

OP
OP
reidar

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did raise it a bit, but I didn't see much difference from the alignment I had done 6 months ago to the one I had done today. My front was raised 1.5" while the back was raised 1.25" with the Rancho QuickLift loaded shocks/springs. Thanks for your response Victor.

Rod

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I repair soo much suspension parts, that the only alignment setting I use is the red neck method!!! :) And believe me.. it works!
:head3:

OP
OP
reidar

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay mindgame, fill me in with the redneck method, because I'm down with that. ;)
I'm getting more and more irritated with tire/dealer shops. If I have the equipment, I'm more than happy of doing it myself (and it gives me an excuse to buy more tools!!)

Thanks!

Rod

Ford_Forever

Reaction score
I think the alignment is important thing specially for the tire life. I will try to get my last alignment result from my dealer to compare it with your result (it was three month ago).

Note my Expy is stock but I'm planning to get the rancho quick lift. So it's important for me to get clear idea about this issue.

Mishal

Last edited:
OP
OP
reidar

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, mindgame! That's funny! I will have to try the string thing though, that and my eagle eyes.

Ford_Forever, this was actually an issue before I put the Rancho QuickLifts on it. My Expe has had a -camber issue for a few years now. I did visit with Les Schwab yesterday to get a few things explained to me regarding the alignment. He told me that the Expe has no camber adjustments, however there are camber kits you can buy to adjust that. I may just end up doing that. Les Schwab would have sold them to me for $160, but I believe I seen them before for closer to $80 a pair. I do have one tire straight up and down, but all the others are at least -.9 camber, way too high in my opinion, and tires are expensive. :0 It's interesting to me that changing the shock/spring on front right completely fixed the - camber on that one, but didn't touch the rest. Weird.

I Love Fords, always have, but some things I question. I do love this vehicle, and for what I ask out of it, there isn't another "like" vehicle that will do as good of job as the Expe does.