All wheel drive to 2 wheel drive mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto78

Reaction score
By using the brown wire mod and disabling the a 4wd, does this help gas mileage? Or is there a kit for manual hubs? Supposedly a lot of guys are installing manual hubs because it gets you a couple MPG's by reducing drag from the front axle gears.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think it will do much for MPG. If you did both mods you might see a small increase. Are you talking about the A4wd or just 4wd? The A4wd just transfers power to the front when the rear begins to slip. Otherwise your are in 2wd. I want the mod just to be able to have a little fun and I cant stand it when its wet out and you give it a little to much gas say on a incline the back starts to give then bammm you hear and feel that a4wd kick in.

I still haven’t made the cut yet. I have looked into the wiring and found the brown wire. On mine it’s a lite brown maybe even a tan. Maybe I will get the balls up to do it in the morning. I just don’t want every warning lig

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I made the cut……a little scary but it worked. The worries came from what wire might be what so I ended up cutting right at the t-case. My color of wire did not stay the same nor did the gage. From under the drivers seat to dash “didn’t trace under dash” the wire was brown with a blue tracer. From the connection under seat to another connection right before the t-case it was a smaller gage full brown, from that connection to the t-case it is a larger light full brown. I don’t understand why the gage would vary.
I got a better acceleration off the start with a noticeable bite over the a4wd. I should have taken some notes to share for a before and after but it feels to be a little better at 0 to 60 or it might just be the rear drops a lot more. It did have a easier time shifting under full acceleration. Right now Im just going to leave it cut. When I get some time to hunt in the junk yard I will hunt down a stock switch off of something to mount in the dash.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4s don’t have as much low end as I thought or it just might be this beast is so heavy! But with a little effort I was able to power brake and light them up! Just took 10,000 miles off the rear tires

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear ya! I would be surprised if I was able to break 90 mph! Lol I thought the 5.4 would have a better low end or more power at a lower rpm. As soon as the rpm came up there was no stopping the amount of time I could have sat there and burned them out for some time. She even broke loose to the right after letting of the brake about 15* fishtailed a little then put down a good 30-40 feet of rubber!

gbecerra

Reaction score
A while back I read a post that said to remove a "fuse" I believe, but I can't remember for sure. It was under the hood and after I did that it disengaged the automatic feature to engage the front tires when rear slipping is sensed. After that I was able to break it loose. I don't normally drive like that so I put the "fuse" or whatever it was back. This was a few years ago.

firefighter407

Reaction score
Anyone now if u can just change out the switch?

I went to the local wrecker and looked at both switchs and they look the same wiring colour code too. onl looks like an extra spot for 2wd.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone now if u can just change out the switch?

I went to the local wrecker and looked at both switchs and they look the same wiring colour code too. onl looks like an extra spot for 2wd.

Excellent question!

I have been wondering the exact same thing for quite some time.
I was never keen on the idea of actually cutting the wire, but I had often wondered about changing the switch to a 97-98 model switch.

If you do it, please let us know if it works. I am interested in doing the same.