Another dead/no start thread - 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDuncan

Reaction score
Our 2007 Limited shut down on I-65 during rush hour traffic tonight. Wife had to fight to get the thing over to the shoulder thanks to traffic and no power steering. She turns it off and when she turns the key back on, the dash is going crazy, like it is running some diagnostic. Much more going on then the usual lamp illumination at startup. The truck does not crank. Anti-theft is doing a fast flash. She called me and started me that direction from work. After about 15 minutes, she tried again and the truck started up like nothing was wrong. She was going to try to get to the dealer but the truck only ran about 5 minutes and shut off on her again. At least she was off the interstate. I get to her about 10 minutes after that and it is still doing the crazy dash thing. I checked what I knew to check and didn't find anything wrong. A good Samaritan who worked at Kentucky Truck Plant (Ford has been making the Expeditions there since 2009) and now runs his own auto repair shop stops to help and assures me it is the starter. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, we were able to get to the dealership by going through wait, start, die, wait again cycle 3 more times. Had to use the night drop as it was 6:15 when we got there and they closed at 6. Has anyone else seen this. In my mind, something electrical is overheating. I don't know what, but I can't believe it is the starter. To me, once you are done starting the vehicle, the starter is dead weight. I can't see how an issue with the starter would make the engine shut down at highway speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
J

JDuncan

Reaction score
3/4 of a tank of gas (was filled up on Saturday) and the engine would not crank at all when having the issue, so I don't think it is gas. Not unless there is some sensor in the fuel system that disables the starter. Who knows...

B

bedrck46

check the PCM, run/start and the starter relays in the battery junction box under the hood

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer will run diagnostics to pinpoint the cause. A bad electrical connection can cause something similar.
For the most part you are correct about the starter. The only time it can cause real problems is when it sticks after starting the engine and continues running. Problem is, now it is a generator that is unregulated. Cook time for electronics.

I believe there is a past thread with this problem that turned out to be battery related.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JDuncan

Reaction score
Dealer believes it is the PCM. Quote is $1050 installed and "there could be other things that were damaged when it failed and there is no way to tell till you have a different PCM." What do the knowledgeable here think of this diagnosis? Believable?

B

bedrck46

as stated yesterday check PCM relay
change the relay and see what happens
but dealer could be right