Another dead/no start thread - 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A dealer that "believes" it is the pcm vs one that proves beyond a doubt it is the pcm tells me they don't know and are guessing. They need to prove the pcm failed before condemning it. They would have something such as "unable to communicate with the pcm" when they try to diagnose it. Or during diagnosis there shows no output to the injectors.

Basically a more informative proof of failure before tossing parts at it. The following is from Fords Service Manual for 2007 for replacing the pcm:

Removal and Installation

Retrieve the module configuration. Carry out the module configuration retrieval steps of the Programmable Module Installation procedure. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01
Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Disconnect the 2 PCM electrical connectors.
Remove the 2 bolts and the ground cable.
To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
Remove the PCM.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Installation

Install the PCM.
Position the ground cable and install the 2 bolts.
Tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
Connect the 3 PCM electrical connectors.
Connect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
NOTE: When a new PCM is installed, the air bag warning indicator will illuminate when the ignition switch is ON. The warning indicator will remain on until PCM configuration is restored

NOTE: Clear all restraints control module (RCM) continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) after Programmable Module Installation procedure has been completed on the PCM.

Restore the module configuration. Carry out the module configuration restore steps of the Programmable Module Installation procedure. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01

So if they say that they were unable to download the configuration I would ask they if they verified it was getting power. If they did then yep it is toast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JDuncan

Reaction score
The statement given to me is that they were able to communicate with it and that it was showing codes for every system from throttle body to fuel pump and that Ford's direction in this scenario was to replace it. I had hoped it was a battery or alternator issue...

B

bedrck46

you say you took it to the dealer was that a ford dealer or used car dealer??

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the ecm failures I've seen on the big truck side that isn't the normal failure but one that is encountered with bad grounds. Usually when they fail something quits outright or there isnt any communication with it or it just doesn't cooperate. Did they give you a printout from the diagnosis showing the codes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JDuncan

Reaction score
It is at a Ford dealership (Town & Country on Preston Hwy here in Louisville). They haven't provided me with any printouts.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your in a salty environment during winter. I would ask if the checked the pcm grounds before putting in the new pcm. They can return it if needed. Their factory service manuals shows them where all the ground points are, so don't let them bs you.

Last edited: