Another plug blew out, I'm at a cross roads, looking for some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so a few years ago the front spark plug on the passenger side (closest to radiator) blew out. I found out it already had an insert and had simply unscrewed. I put it back in with red loctite and all was good for a couple years. Then it blew out again, but I couldn't find the plug. I took it to my mechanic and he drilled it for an even larger insert, and put a new plug in. It ran a little rough and after changing the coil twice, I determined that it was not the coils. So I took it easy while driving for over a year now. Most days it runs ok, but some days hills are a struggle.
This morning the second plug from the radiator on the driver side blew out.

I could have a standard insert put in, assuming it isn't too screwed up, but I'll still have the original side causing me issues.

I can't afford to just go buy another truck. I'm debating whether to have the heads pulled and fixed, or pulled and replaced with junk yard units, or maybe getting a junk yard motor put in.

Either way, I'm probably not going to be able to do it myself, because I don't have anywhere to work on it that's indoors. I've also never tackled a job quite so large as to pull both heads.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Winning Lottery numbers?

2000 Expedition with 201k miles. 4.6L

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just like me, it sounds like you plan to keep your Expe until it dies so I would do it right the first time. Im not sure if our heads are rebuildable, if not then I would get some help to choose a good pair from the junkyard to rebuild at the shop of your choosing. With this job you will replace headgaskets and while youre at it, replace the spark plugs.

One more thing to consider - if you havent replaced your intake manifold, now may be a good time to replace it. Thats another $400ish for the part but will save you $400 in labor down the road

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe there might be aftermarket cylinder heads available there in the US. At least it's new.