Spark plug Helicoil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonyhome

Reaction score
A friend told me spark plugs like to blow in 5.4L engines around 180K because there's like 3 turns of threads to hold them.
He then recommended to helicoil them before they blow, as it is a solid fix, and when they blow they take some of the metal with them so a helicoil fix becomes more iffy.

Is it a frequent issue, like head gaskets are on subarus? I blew and helicoil'ed my neon way back in the days and it sucked.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend told me spark plugs like to blow in 5.4L engines around 180K because there's like 3 turns of threads to hold them.
FALSE
They do not blow at a certain milage. They blow after a tune up because the mechanic didn't do their job right. Usually cylinder # 4 and #3 because they are harder to get to.
As long as they are tightened properly you will have no problems. Look up Ford tech Makuloco on his youtube channel for proper installation of spark plugs. Many other problems solved on that channel as well.

No more mechanical advice from that friend might help too.

Welcome to the forum.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yupster is correct. Triton motors with the PI heads ( Performance Improved Heads ) have more threading available for the sparkplugs and don't suffer the sparkplug blow out syndrome that the early motors ( motors prior to the '99 model year...) had. I recommend using a torque wrench when installing sparkplugs and torque them to recommended specs ( 20-25 ft lbs...). You should not have a blowout problem on your '02 Expy as long as they are properly torqued.

Replacing Ford 2V Triton Sparkplugs

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the 4.6L engines in the 2001 affected by this?

Specifically a "W" 4.6 EFI-SOHC(R) V-8 GASOLINE FORD 190-210 HP

"(R)": Romeo Engine Plant

I have been procrastinating my second spark plug replacement now 96K miles.

And is there a trick in getting them out?

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
Yupster is correct. Triton motors with the PI heads ( Performance Improved Heads ) have more threading available for the sparkplugs and don't suffer the sparkplug blow out syndrome that the early motors ( motors prior to the '99 model year...) had. I recommend using a torque wrench when installing sparkplugs and torque them to recommended specs. You should never have a blowout problem on your '02 Expy.

That's good to hear. He seemed to indicate it was fixed later - around 2005 -.

I find it's super important to know the quirks of an older vehicle you own to not end up in purgatory.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine, I tried to replace #7 and could not budge it with hand tools. Is there a proven procedure to loosen them? Also how can I tell if mine has PI heads?

If your motor is an '01 motor it would have PI heads. If you want to confirm it, look with a flashlight and mirror just above the front exhaust bolt and you should see the head's part number and a PI under the part number.

634-5473-83037.jpg

Early heads on the left ....... PI improved heads on the right.....
634-794-6999.jpg