Any A/V installers/experts in here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My wife decided she wanted satellite radio in her 2007 Honda Odyssey. It's factory radio is "XM ready" so I purchased the Honda dealer installed kit which consist of the xm receiver, harness and antenna. Now I have done many car stereo installs in my lifetime and knew this should not be an issue. I installed the kit as per the instructions and activated the service.

It works fine when line of site to the sky is clear but when there is heavy tree cover, hills, etc... the signal will drop out frequently. I do not have this issue in my Taurus Sho in the same area. It is my understanding that xm uses local repeaters to pick up the signal and failing that it revert to satellite which is a far weaker signal. To me it appears the Honda uses line of site to the satellite only?! The other possibility is since the antenna is mounted inside on the windshield with the dealer installed kit the signal may be much weaker vs a factory installed roof mounted unit??

I have tried the odyssey forums with zero help thus far. I have searched endlessly online as well and found nothing to help. Sirius/XM tech service is worthless as all they can do is read whats written on the computer screen.

I would try and get an external mount antenna if I was certain it would help but hate to waste time and money if it will not. Not sure of the possibilities of it being a faulty receiver with it working in clear skys.

I am hoping someone experienced with XM radio installs has some pointers or tips. At this point I am open to all suggestions / opinions / links etc.... to get this thing working. It's worthless as is on her normal route to work.

Last edited:

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have terrible luck with mounting the antennae anywhere but the exterior of the vehicle. I can never seem to get satisfactory results. Besides the luck, SiriusXM's approved install method is with " an externally mounted antenna".

I had the antenna on the dash of my Expedition for about a week before it pissed me off and I moved it to the roof.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have terrible luck with mounting the antennae anywhere but the exterior of the vehicle. I can never seem to get satisfactory results. Besides the luck, SiriusXM's approved install method is with " an externally mounted antenna".

I had the antenna on the dash of my Expedition for about a week before it pissed me off and I moved it to the roof.

The set up I have actually has it mounted to the upper right hand side of the windshield. What a waste of time!!

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/installation/odyssey/2007-odyssey-xm-satellite-radio.pdf

Thanks for your reply. :) Think I will try external mounted antenna.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

Tom I have SiriusXM also but my question to you is does the wife's radio have to be set to a certain radio frequency in order to receive Sirius or does she just press a button on the front of the radio and it connects. I only ask as I am not sure how the XM ready
systems work

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The stereo actually has xm button. The xm receiver does not transmit on fm channel which I assume you are getting at.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the antenna you have now and double side tape it to the roof outside just above the door as a test before buying anything. Does your odyssey have a sun roof?

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would take the antenna you have now and double side tape it to the roof outside just above the door as a test before buying anything. Does your odyssey have a sun roof?

My wife's does. I wouldn't own a mini van.. :wtf:

LOL....

The biotch is I have to remove all the trim again to get the cable out and cut the wire ties. But I agree it would definitely be a wise move to test prior to purchasing.

david_jr

Reaction score
Not an expert, but I believe XM and Sirius work on different technologies. XM uses geosynchronous satellites (stationary at approximately 23000 feet) and is more susceptible to obstructions in the line of sight to the satellite. Sirius uses low orbit satellites that are constantly orbiting at low altitudes (100 miles or so up I believe) and the theory is that one moves into sight behind you before the one that just passed you leaves your sight ahead of you or something like that. Where I live there is a lot of mountains and tree cover and the dropouts from XM drove us so crazy to the point we gave it up. Another vehicle I drive is a Ford with Sirius going through the same areas there is hardly ever a dropout.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sirius uses 2 geo sats and a ground based repeater network.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true....

Last edited: