Anyone on corn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry12

Reaction score
Just had a local gas station add an E85 pump. My 12 EL runs flex fuel so I have been saving the 70 cents a gallon and running E85. I seen a slight drop in mileage but not much. Does anyone know if the computer "learns" my driving habits and the switch to E85?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yes the pcm recognizes when you run E85 and adjust tune for it. Different timing and air/fuel ratios used for each fuel or combination thereof.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wish mine was flex fuel...

E85 is like a poor mans race gas in boosted applications. Can get much more aggressive with the tune and/or boost.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You won't get the same mpg with E85. It takes more volume to get the same heat. I think you have to get up around 13:1 compression to start getting the same mpg as gas.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Harry12

Reaction score
Do you know what the difference is between fuels? I heard about 10% but I am seeing maybe 5% less.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know what the difference is between fuels? I heard about 10% but I am seeing maybe 5% less.

I am guessing you have a light blend of E85 at this point (probably in the 50% range or less). You will see a solid 20% difference once you get to the 70% plus concentration unless you have the one off engine that burns the same amount of E85 or 87. Most E85 blends actually come in under 85% ethanol. For what it's worth and I can't find it now but our ford rep sent a dyno chart of the 5.4L on a strong E85 blend and it made almost 400 ft lbs of torque (I think it was a 30 ft lb gain).

For what it's worth I average about 8-9.5 mpg on E85 and 11-12 mpg on 93. I've never run regular in the truck so I can't tell you where I would be on 87.

Paul2003

Reaction score
My truck isn't flex fuel but it doesn't matter as I have never seen a station that sells it. Not sure if it's available in Canada.

On the plus side I've heard the first corn on the cob of the season is available the weekend.