ANYONE WITH RUMBLE STRIP or 35 & 55 MPH drivetrain noises READTHIS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So. I've been following all the threads since getting my second gen last year, around wierd noises and rumbles in the powertrain. I've replaced two rear wheel bearings, all new tires, new plugs and coils...and still had this damn noise. It's been driving me nuts. Anyway last time the garage said I probably had a driveshaft U-joint gone. It is a twenty dollar part and once replaced....

-- Rumble strip noises completely gone
-- Transmission shifts smoother
-- Transfer case seems smoother
-- No more binding on turns (thought it was rear diff sticking)
-- No more mysterious random clunks from (what I thought was) suspension
-- Engine seems to have more power due to less powertrain friction now
-- It drives and rides like a BRAND NEW TRUCK.

A twenty dollar part. Rear driveshaft - Universal Joints. REPLACE THEM its worth your time.

Ben F

Reaction score
someone else with similar problems...maybe thats mine not sure. i have a 2003 5.4L XLT runs fine other than say when I'm going up hill(most noticeable to me) or something it gives a big grinding thud as it switches gears. never been able to get a straight answer from anyone other than its probably the rear end differential..its been like this for easily 3 years and no major problems but id like to fix it

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So. I've been following all the threads since getting my second gen last year, around wierd noises and rumbles in the powertrain. I've replaced two rear wheel bearings, all new tires, new plugs and coils...and still had this damn noise. It's been driving me nuts. Anyway last time the garage said I probably had a driveshaft U-joint gone. It is a twenty dollar part and once replaced....

-- Rumble strip noises completely gone
-- Transmission shifts smoother
-- Transfer case seems smoother
-- No more binding on turns (thought it was rear diff sticking)
-- No more mysterious random clunks from (what I thought was) suspension
-- Engine seems to have more power due to less powertrain friction now
-- It drives and rides like a BRAND NEW TRUCK.

A twenty dollar part. Rear driveshaft - Universal Joints. REPLACE THEM its worth your time.

How many miles on this truck?