Anything new on sluggish 1-2 shifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 that usually, but not always, is slow to do the 1-2 shift when pulling away from a stop. When it gets around to shifting it shifts pretty hard and jerks.

I've had other vehicles shift like that, and worse. A bottle of Lucas additive has always done the trick. When I had the Expedition's transmission serviced at a dealer I gave them a bottle of the Lucas additive to put in and they said they would but I have no idea if they did. Only time I've ever had a dealer service a vehicle, and only because 1. it was cheaper than doing it myself 2. I didn't love the idea of having to put the truck up on 4 jack stands and working around a hot exhaust pipe because nobody makes transmission dipstick kits for these years of Expedition / F150 anymore, didn't in 2018 when I bought it, still don't last I checked.

The dealer mechanic claimed he test drove it before and after and didn't experience any slow/hard shifting.

There is a TSB for a shifting issue like this but the dealer says my particular Expy isn't covered by it. Course the same dealer also flat out lied to me about there being no recalls on a 1997 Mountaineer which subsequently developed the leaky brake light switch for which there was a recall. Fortunately instead of setting itself on fire it only made the cruise control stop working and the leak was easily visible while having a look at the master cylinder. I fixed it myself, should've taken it to the dealer.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 explorer did this when I bought it in 14, a TCM reflash and it's been good for the last 110,000 miles.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could try disconnecting the battery and draining all the caps. Then drive it easy and let trans relearn the shifts.

OP
OP
G

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not have its original transmission. When I had it serviced the dealer had to get the shallow filter because it has the shallow pan instead of the deep pan Ford's records show it should have.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6R60 had shallow pans, I think the deep pans were on the HD trucks. Your dealer should be able to tell what it is from the scan tool. They should also know about the reflash for the hard 1 to 2 shift.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shoot, looks like the expedition had the 6R75, similar to the 6R60 but a little more HD. Sounds like a flash fixes the 1-2 issue though just like the 60, and there's another issue from 6-4 downshifting.

OP
OP
G

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll contact the local dealer and ask if they have anything on TCM programming updates. Or perhaps I should try a dealer in a different town. Seems to me like that repeated lag then hard engagement could eventually do damage to one of the clutches. I wonder if someday when I hit the gas to go that it's just going to sit there and whirr away without moving. :p

Sudden automatic transmission failures are no fun, and tend to be expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire