Are superchips really super?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thing about tuners is you need to have realistic expectations for what they can do. I can feel the firmer shifts and I can measure improvements in acceleration. When I use the heavy tow program I can feel the improved shifting and the truck can hold a higher gear when i get to a hill when I tow my 30' TT. It's not going to be the same as adding a supercharger. I don't expect it to.

I have the Superchips Cortex. That is the one I know. Custom tunes will make more power in a given application if that's what you want. Superchips' canned tunes are still "this will work for everyone" tunes. As an example I have 93 octane gas in my area. Their tune for premium gas is for 91 octane. They don't make custom tunes. Is it worth it to get a custom tune to maximize power for a truck on the street? I don't know. Does anyone know the difference in the maximum power you can make tuning to take advantage of going up 2 octane points? Then what happens if I travel to an area that only has 91 octane? Also their tunes are 50 state street legal.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I loved the Edge that I had in the Expedition. But now with the Excursion, I think I may go another way. One of the manufacturers offers a powertrain warranty with their unit. (think it may actually be Superchips) and that may be enough for me to jump off the Edge. (damn I'm witty)

With a V10 I don't expect huge mileage gains or anything like that, I just want the shifts firmed up and perhaps a bit more power.

prez1967

Full Access Members
Reaction score
please stop calling them 'chips' - in the automotive performance world you'd be looked-down-upon. It's like calling the internet the interwebs, etc. :)

Or like calling pistol magazines "Clips" :puke:

I've contacted 5 Star Tuning and feel confident that thats the way i'm going to go. I'd like to see firmer shifts and smoother transitions on/off throttle. A bit more power and MPG wouldnt hurt also.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clips is slang...due to some weapons magazines clip in...full clip...full load...full mag...samething

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
clips is slang...due to some weapons magazines clip in...full clip...full load...full mag...samething

Clip is not slang. Clip is what is used to hold rounds for insertion into a magazine. See: M1 Garrand.

If you can SEE the bullets bound together, it's a clip. If you cannot see the bullets, its because they are inserted into a magazine ;)

OP
OP
carid

carid

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

If you always wanted to see what your vehicle is really capable of, then its the right time to check it with Hypertech superchips!

Impressive sale from Hypertech!

Purchase Hypertech products today and save up to $50 OFF the original price! Don't miss out, this offer expires on December 31, 2014!

hypertech-banner.jpg

OP
OP
carid

carid

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Incredible sale from Superchips and EDGE!

Don't miss your chance to buy Superchips and receive 10% off. Buy any Edge products and get your 10% OFF! Do not hesitate and make your purchase right now, these offers are valid through April 15, 2015!

superchips-banner.jpg

edge-banner.jpg

Click here to check all Performance Chips: Performance Chips & Power Programmers - CARiD.com