Arrrrghhhh!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's always something with this truck! The power steering problem I posted about previously has not gone away. Thought it did, but no. So, took it to the dealer. They say there is a drop in pressure in the system when activated, which they believe is caused by worn seals and age of the power steering pump and parts. To fix it, they are recommending replacing the power steering pump and steering rack, to the tun of $1,400. I know it's gotta be 75-80% labor costs. There has got to be a way to get it done cheaper...Sorry, just needed to VENT!! Here am I all happy my new wheels are coming, and now the truck is being ******!!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of that is labor, and the cost for the steering rack. The PS pump is not expensive, nor too difficult to change. Was the recommendation for the rack a necessity, or something that would be a good idea to do?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
theres a pressure valve and spring in the pump that is easy to take out and clean... or maybe the spring broke might be worth looking at

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, he said they can't be sure the problem is in the pump or the rack. It's one of those, "while you're in there and have it apart, you may as well do the other thing too". It's just frustrating. I just spent $600+ to get the AC fixed and finally had it running right. Now this.....

I can get a new pump with warranty for $85. I can get the rack for $290. So yeah, it's gotta be labor!

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
Here's my recommendation: First, think about the issue at hand. Wait till your "cooled off" from the problem and thinking with a cool head. Many obvious things I have missed from being PO'd while wrenching away. Then, ask yourself whether you think the pump is the problem or the steering rack. Have someone sit in the vehicle and turn the wheel back and forth. Anything look or sound out of the ordinary? If you are not sure, go with you gut feeling on this one but I'd recommend doing the job yourself and saving $$$.

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are not sure, go with you gut feeling on this one but I'd recommend doing the job yourself and saving $$$.

Was thinking along these lines already, just not looking forward to having to spend more time under the truck.....I have the factory service manual on CD. I'll have to check it out and see if it's something I even WANT to attempt....