Audible alarm in reverse, 2014 Expedition EL XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hahuston

Reaction score
Hi, I have a very new to me 2014 Expedition EL XLT. This morning, when I put it in reverse, an alarm sounded for as long as it was in reverse. It was a low, solid tone. There were no warning lights or indicators on the display.

I haven't heard this alarm before. I can't find anything in the manual regarding this and I've used the search function in the forum. Google didn't turn up anything regarding the Expedition. Maybe I'm not using the right search verbiage? Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hahuston

Reaction score
Is it an interior alarm? Or exterior?

Could be rear-parking sensors (that think something is in the way...)
It's an interior alarm. It happened again today, but this time I saw a notification on the stereo display. It said RPA Active. What is that?

vincentrose

Reaction score
Its the reverse sensing system. The tones are suppose to get more rapid as you get closer to the object. You can turn this on or off through the menu setup options

OP
OP
H

hahuston

Reaction score
Its the reverse sensing system. The tones are suppose to get more rapid as you get closer to the object. You can turn this on or off through the menu setup options
It's a continuous tone, not beeping. I was stationary and there was nothing behind me. It doesn't happen everytime. That's what has me stumped. I can't find RPA in the manual or online.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the RPA is setting a continuous alarm then something is blocking the sensor (trailer hitch, aux step, etc.) , there is something you are parking next to setting it off, or you have a bad sensor as bloodhound suggest.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Tommy nailed it. The continuous tone says you're right next to something. If it's not detecting a trailer hitch or wall, try cleaning the bumper sensors or you may have a bad one.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it happen no matter where you're parked when you go into reverse? My parking sensors go off every time I back out of our narrow garage and the tone stays on until I clear the garage. The garage is narrow and it seems like it's sensing the walls.