Auto Start and door lock remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awojtowicz

Reaction score
i have an 05 expedition. i bought it used. it has a remote auto start which also controls doors. the remote stopped working. i figured it was just a dead battery so i went out and bought new one. still not working. does this look like a bad remote? i went to autozone to by a new remote but i didnt know their remotes only work the doors not the remote start. is there a common remote for this or do i have to go back to ford or any company who puts in remote starts and have to get a new one? sucks not having remote start on cold days. ive been using the keycode on the door for unlocking it.

thanks
Andrew

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the remote that came with the truck have a dedicated button for the start feature? If remote start used the factory FOB's lock or unlock button, then it is aftermarket. For example, if you have to press unlock 3 times quickly (or something similar) to make the truck start. Usually there is also a valet/override switch under the dash or in the glovebox that might have been bumped, or a hood safety switch that needs looked at.

Any car stereo shop can look and tell you what system your truck has. Some might be able to solve the issue, most I've dealt with would rather just sell you a new system and charge you to remove the old one rather than troubleshooting it. YMMV. Ford dealers generally farm this type of stuff out, so no need to go there.

There is no common remote. You must replace your original remote with one of the same and Autozone isn't the place. Outside of physically looking the same, the numbers on the back most often need to match. Most auto parts stores will have remote tester. Remotes do go bad, and I've bought a brand brand spanking new dead battery more than once. First thing I'd do is to get the original remote control tested with a fresh new battery in it.

OP
OP
A

awojtowicz

Reaction score
this is the only remote i have for it. my remote has 4 buttons. top left - door lock. top right - unlock. bottom left - alarm. bottom right start. i just hold it down and it used to start.

the remote start device is in truck drivers side under dash along fender sorta.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha. What I'd do is find a parts store with a remote control tester and fresh batteries and see if its the fob at fault. If the remote is no good, I'd determine the make/model of the remote start module to see if the consumer can add/replace remote fobs. You might be able to find a replacement on ebay or Amazon and avoid the stereo shop route.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a new remote from Ford....2W7Z-15K601-BA 4 button transmitter Top left - Lock, Top right - unlock
bottom left - red and bottom right - blue start. You have to first push top left then blue one after the other quickly. Dealer will have to program the new remote or may be able to do it yourself.