Automatic Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is involved in installing the OEM automatic running boards onto a 2014 that has static running boards?

Is it simply a plug-and-play process, or is there more involved since these can be enabled/disabled via the gauge cluster?

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is involved in installing the OEM automatic running boards onto a 2014 that has static running boards?

Is it simply a plug-and-play process, or is there more involved since these can be enabled/disabled via the gauge cluster?
I don't know how easy it is, but I wish I could swap the power ones on my 2014 for your fixed ones.

MrTommy

Reaction score
We have the power running boards on our 2014 and have never had any problems. Why would you want to ditch yours?

gergnamenorg

Reaction score
I asked the same question at ford parts counter. it seems ford has 2 wiring harnesses for truck body (lights, mirrors, running boards) . so if truck did not come with retractable running boards it does not have wiring available, so you would have to retro wire them like an aftermarket unit (which no one makes). you would also have to install a new software module replacing BCM.

tommyboy

Reaction score
On my 2017 Limited, the driver's side one got sticky then stuck. It was a $1,700 repair but luckily I had an ESP. One got stuck on my 2020 Limited Max Stealth, under warranty, the dealer simply cleaned and lubed both of them. Now, just waiting for that repair shoe to drop....

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have the power running boards on our 2014 and have never had any problems. Why would you want to ditch yours?

Because I feel like they are time bombs. This board is full of people posting about them failing. And Ford doesn't sell just a replacement motor, so it's a big expensive PIA to fix. There are workarounds to that, but my 2009 had fixed boards and that was just fine. I follow all the advice with lubing them with the appropriate stuff on a regular basis, but I'd still rather go with fixed. Add to that I slipped on ice 2 days ago just when I opened the door and and the running board opened right into my ankle. Ouch.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2017 Limited, the driver's side one got sticky then stuck. It was a $1,700 repair but luckily I had an ESP. One got stuck on my 2020 Limited Max Stealth, under warranty, the dealer simply cleaned and lubed both of them. Now, just waiting for that repair shoe to drop....
They're a maintenance item, I clean and lube mine each oil change.

07Tjherr

Reaction score
I have a 07 Expedition and I am also looking to switch to power running boards. It looks like all that is needed is the module in the b-pillar and wiring harness for each side then turn the feature on. You might need ForScan. I am willing to trade someone my static running boards for their power ones.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about swapping boards out but have power boards on my '09 and leave them off unless have passengers. Think it would be good to have a mini mud flap to keep the motor and arms clean.