Automatic transmission isn't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hjackson05

Reaction score
I have a 98 XPY with 5.4L 4 wheel drive. One morning, transmission did not shift automatically to 2nd gear at the normal RPM. Each day thereafter the shift point was at increasingly higher RPMs until I had to shift it manually. It has gotten progressively worse to the point that I have to shift manually thru all three gears. Truck only has 71k miles. Any ideas?

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you have 4 gears . might be a trans range sensor problem. could be a pcm or wiring problem also.

OP
OP
H

hjackson05

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Caro. It has 4 gears but you only shift thru 3. The trans range sensor seems like a logical place to start. What is a PCM? I have to drop the pan. Is there anything I should check before re-installing the pan?

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ford tranny gremlin strikes again... dont want to start a war but ive never had good luck with ford trannys

I belive pcm=powertrain control module

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
try changing fuel filter. this happend with the cop cars i worked on
plugged filter = ok pressure, no volume trans acting goofy

OP
OP
H

hjackson05

Reaction score
try changing fuel filter. this happend with the cop cars i worked on
plugged filter = ok pressure, no volume trans acting goofy

Interesting. I was going to replace that as it is next on the to do list, not to correct this but because it' s rusty. More info - I just replaced all brake lines 2 weeks before this issue reared it's ugly head. One line was so badly rusted It crumbled with light pressure from my little finger

WCAWI

Reaction score
First, what trans do you have in it? I'm guessing the E4OD. Is the pan real long or is it more square?

OP
OP
H

hjackson05

Reaction score
It is the longer one with 1 corner cut out and 20 bolts. Advance auto part # FK-179 - Same filter is used on both the E40D and the 4R100. I'm Changing the fluid now will try to determine which it is. Any way to determine which one it is? Thanks for your help

WCAWI

Reaction score
OK so you have the E4OD. Its a good chance you have stuck valves in the acumulator valve body. Thats the valve body section all the way in the front when you have the pan off you can see it. As long as you have the pan off changing fluid you should take that section off and apart to clean and check for stuck valves. Transgo makes a kit with steel valves to fix this problem.

OP
OP
H

hjackson05

Reaction score
Thank You WCAWI. Took a look at Transgo. Looks intimidating with all the springs to take apart. Can it be done without taking apart - I'm thinking in place and brake cleaner, remove it and brake cleaner without taking apart? All data shows

Last edited: