'19 Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've a '19 Expedition with ~88,000 km on it, it has suffered many of the typical issues associated with the 10R80's. Providing as a reference to those with the issue.

1. Started with lazy shifts when cold into/out of 4th gear. I would call these a mix of mild hesitant shifts and some heavier ones but nothing major, just subtle poor shifts that someone who is mechanically inclined would notice but not something most people would notice.
2. At about 30-40,000 km I reported it on maintenance, dealer had a look and replaced a shift solenoid. I can't elaborate much further. The result was normal shifts for another 30-40,000 km.
3. Over the past 10,000 km or so the hesitant/heavy shifts re-emerged with a few shifts where the vehicle seemingly hunted for a gear and lost drive for a second or two.
4. While towing an enclosed empty 14 ft cargo trailer in tow mode the transmission temp spiked quickly to 126 deg C, I feel a bit goofy for missing it on the way up but I did, kids jabbering etc. It was the temp alarm that was my first indicator. I pulled over, moved it through some shifts from PNDR to see if it was still functioning and let it cool down. It cooled down pretty quickly and stayed cool ~100 deg C for the remainder of the drive. No odd shifts, just heated up, I presume it was caught part way through a shift or something didn't finish a shift procedure. Lost a bit of fluid. The fuel efficiency had degraded when I looked at it after the heat up and despite running at the proper temp it was poor for the remainder of the trip. I chalked it up to cross-winds but wondered.
5. Four months later while towing a 6,500 lb travel trailer on a pretty flat drive, not Texas flat, but prairie flat. I was watching the temp like a hawk and it runs between 100 and 106 deg at 105-115 kph with the trailer. Things were normal, temperature needed to be managed with speed, pushing 115-120 would head up to the 106 quickly. Bang, not like a clunk, everyone in the vehicle (even a four year old) said "what was that"? I half expected parts on the road it was that big of a thump. The computer went into an error mode, there was no drive and pressing the throttle gave no rpm, it said something to the effect of 'check manual' in red. The computer reset itself and the transmission went back into gear, pulled over asap and went through shift cycles fine. Let it cool off to the normal 100 deg C. Given what we had going on (spreading ashes) with three families I didn't have much of an option to defer the trip, I opted to continue.
6. Mileage was terrible for the remainder of the trip running between 28-32 l/100km, presumably because of some increased friction... Temps were manageable and generally 102-104 deg C. Big hills pushed to 106.
7. Took it to dealer for a look, their conclusion was to replace the shift solenoid. I had that done at a different dealer that I don't really like and they were not aware, I told them that had already been done. The remedy then became a replacement of the clutch hub and a complete overhaul. It has been in for 12 days now with the first bit being a few days awaiting diagnosis, then awaiting parts, a period of work, and now awaiting some gaskets and bolts that were missed on the original order.

Overall, I'm happy they're dealing with it. Terrified that I'm at 92k and about to come off warranty. Regardless of warranty or results of the work I'll be asking about extended powertrain warranty, seems a reasonable insurance policy both for our ownership and at the point of sale.

TSB for this issue is here:

OP
OP
Reaction score
Got the vehicle back yesterday, pretty well two weeks to repair. Was probably four days longer due to needing a second order for bolts and gaskets and then loosing a day to an o2 sensor on reassembly.

All seems well. Everything works as it should.

Spoke with tech to rebuilt it. He said the issues with these transmissions are a bushing that slips and leads to inadequate or excessive shift pressure. The new part includes changes that stop the bushing from being able to do this. So, the good news is that at least it's a changed part, not just the same thing hoping for a different outcome.

That said, I have an extended warranty in my future. I briefly entertained https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tre...her-Pro-Scout--Roster-Roles-Vacant/297/122520 the vehicle due to the limited warranty remaining, but between the $25k increase in price since '19 and the $10k luxury tax some idiot in Ottawa just implemented I will be playing the other side of the depreciation coin.