Automatic transmission problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honkytonkman

Reaction score
1st off, how do I identify if its a 4r70w or a 4r75w ? i'm not completely sure about it. and now to my real problem.

my expy has about 100k miles on it when i bought it. other than rear axle whine it seemed ok. but the transmission had never seen an oil change. so i changed the oil, filled her up with the recommended Motorcraft Mercon V.
then about a week later the transmission seemed to free up between od and 3'rd. only on downshifts. not thinking more about it. i drove on. and later same day it began to use LONG time to engage in drive. and now i have to give it a litte pedal to make it SLAM into drive. so i installed a shiftkit to see if this would be the cure.. but no.. same thing...

so my question is really anything i could do to try to make things better ? or is my only way out a full rebuild ? My tranny guy told me if shift kit does not work. then we need to rebuild... probably some seals that are not holding things where they should be .

OP
OP
H

Honkytonkman

Reaction score
to add up a little here...

anyone had trouble with the EPC ? seems to work better when all warmed up... and that dont really makes sense if the problem is seals ?
Seems to me that slow engagement and could be the EPC?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would say seals you could always try like the lucas additive to help swell back up the seals but i think you may be in for a rebuild... did your tranny guy drain the tq converter? check your transmission fluid level again. i had a tranny shop change my fluid and damn what a big mistake. there was air pockets somehow they filled it up drove it filled it up again i drove it like 15 miles and the truck started having problems shifting i took it back and the damn thing took like 4 more quarts. he showed me his alldata that showed how much to put in and well i watched him put that much in tq converter included and it was wrong once we added the extra it has been overall fine i think it caused some premature tq converter wear

OP
OP
H

Honkytonkman

Reaction score
tried the additive, seems to be no effect... but howcome it works fine when I get it to engage ? and if it where the seals should it not be worse warm ? Could it be something electronic ? I am going to inspect all harnesses again to see if there could be something there ! I am willing to try just about anything before overhauling... too much money for me right now.

OP
OP
H

Honkytonkman

Reaction score
No one had these problems either ? These Expy's got to be the most reliable cars ever made, seems that no one knows anything about any problems on here!
Well

all i wonder is that could this problem be caused by something else than leaking seals on the forward clutch ? and if it is the seals should it not be worse when it's warmed up ? this problems is definetively much worse when cold.

OP
OP
H

Honkytonkman

Reaction score
Well, just to update this thread....
I finally figured it out. went to my tranny-guy and asked him to do a rebuild, as i thouht it probably was the forward clutch seals that were shot...
he then took apart my transmission , and he could tell me that it was my mechanical diode, or sprag clutch that did not lock up going in to drive that was the problem...
but fully rebuilt now and happy =)

Indytona675

Reaction score
Well, just to update this thread....
I finally figured it out. went to my tranny-guy and asked him to do a rebuild, as i thouht it probably was the forward clutch seals that were shot...
he then took apart my transmission , and he could tell me that it was my mechanical diode, or sprag clutch that did not lock up going in to drive that was the problem...
but fully rebuilt now and happy =)

If can be nosy what did the rebuild cost? I may need to get mine done. But just looking for a rough $ to start saving for. Im guessing $2500ish

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
HonkyTonkMan,
Your problem seems to be the seal, when your vehicle warms up the seals expand some enough to hold things where they need to be. When your vehicle is cold the seals shrink. That being said I believe it maybe your bands as well, when they get worn they stretch and it becomes harder for them to maintain the tightness they need to switch the gearing as they are suppose to. Rebuild it with a kit from MonsterTrans.com. Can't beat what they know. You don't need an overhaul kit just a rebuild and should take you a good weekend if you don't have a lift. Good luck.