Auxiliary Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My folks have been driving my Expedition a lot more often now because of the snow up here in CT. Anyway, I've got my windows tinted and they have been complaining that it's too hard to see out when they are backing up.

I was thinking about rigging up some aux. reverse lights to address the problem. Much better than running the risk of them hitting something.

So far I've been considering mounting some driving/fog lights on the towbar (as hidden as possible) and tapping into the stock reverse bulbs circuit so they come on when the vehicle is put into reverse.

The majority of the lights I am considering hooking up are typically 55 watts each, so 110 watts total with a current draw of 9.xx amps. I'm thinking this is too much to just tie in and I think I'll be needing a relay with a constant 12V supply.

I'm hoping to hear from some people with experience. Can I just tap into the circuit or will I need a relay? What are some other aux. lighting options I have--other than driving/fog lights? Would 3157 LEDs or Xenon bulbs in the factory location be sufficient? My budget is preferably under $30 for the lights and all parts. I need bright, super-white lights. I'm also looking to keep this as simple as possible, without doing a half-assed job.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming you have the tow package you can tap into the 12v on the 7 pole plug for the trailer. Thats probably 10 guage to the front so it'll hold anything you'd typically need back there. Or get those mounts that mount of the hitch for aux reverse lights. Easier and looks better, plus you can take it off.

Or get halogen reverse bulbs.

I'd go the hitch mounted ones.

install6.jpg

thats a weird ass expy.

http://www.whitenight.com/index.htm

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Avro. I appreciate it. I'll look into those hitch-mounted lights, as I do have the tow package.

Any idea where to get the 'halogen reverse bulbs' though? That might not be a bad choice if they are much brighter than the stock bulbs...Any idea how they'd compare to Xenon or LED bulbs?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm running fog lights as backup lights on my camper trailer. No reason they can't be direct connected at the rear of the truck. Center pole of the Bargman connector. Relay and fuse protected by the truck.

ph1454628763046203164.jpg

ph1449960152046203164.jpg

Lots of light. You can get as fancy as you want with fog lights.

-- Chuck

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The halogen lights I baught here from a Canadian tire, so basically anywhere that sells automotive shit. autozone, parts source, whatever. They're alright, when somethings relatively close they are pretty bright but without anything close they're fairly useless as they're not aimed anywhere.

LED bulbs don't work to well for trying to get light to reflect off something else. I think that its becuase they're not the brightest and unless it has a lense infront of it not aimed at all.

The halogen ones are maybe twice the brightness of the stock ones, although the stock ones aren't that bright to begin with. No comparison to the fogs in the rear. But they'll only run ya 5 bucks or so.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked out Advanced Auto today in my town, but couldn't find any of the halogen bulbs. I only found the regular incandescent bulbs. I might just order up some Xenon bulbs for like 5 bucks since the LEDs seem to be a bad choice and the halogens are tough to come by. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I might wire up the auxiliary lights. Thanks for all the help, again.