awd transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My transmission went out and i had a used one put in by a salvage company and the one they put in was from an eddie bauer and I was just glad to be able to work more but now two years later I am glad it is still holding up but there is vibration from the transfer case and it turns out I was in 2wd the entire time. The other problem with that is that is the rest of my vehicle is not eddie bauer inckuding my awd selector switch which does not have 2wd and only awd, 4wdh, 4wdL. I had changed it to 4wdh to regain awd for winter and this is when the transfer case vibrates on freeway speeds.

My question now is if i get a eddie bauser selector and put it in 2wd or awd and then replace my transfer case and front differential, which seem to be worn out now... should it stop wearing them out or do i need to replace front differential with eddie bauer. Are there any differences in those parts from two models. I know theres an oil cooler in the eddie bauer transmission that i dont know how they solved that maybe a bypass... because im pretty sure i didnt get a new trans cooler.

In 2wd now theres minimal vibration. Barely noticable.

Maybe this is more of a transmission shop question and i will report back on the results for your information.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your model, etc. factory....? Very few of these beasts had 2WD.

Did the eddie bauers EVER have 2WD. (Im not asking the poster, I am asking everyone else)

Some XLTs had trans coolers, its part of the towing package. You could have had an XLT with a stock cooler (my 98 has one).

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1997 and 1998 expeditions had 2wd Awd 4hi and 4lo capabilities
For the 1999 thru 2002 the expeditions were AWD 4hi and 4lo.
Then starting with the 2003 model Ford went back to 2wd Awd 4hi and 4lo

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced the transmission so my transfer case may just be going from natural causes. I am mostly concerned if I swapped drive selectors from the 98 would it function properly. Should I get the 98 front differential and would that fit or be a complete swap of the 98 transmission into my 2001 xlt. I was told i have the tow package by the dealer. Both my front diff and transfer case fluids were black. I plan on swapping out the front diff because that seems to be at least part. when shifted out of awd it is smoother but still noticeable. Im going to pull a 2001 and keep it in awd as stock. I read somewhere the front differential will wear more in 2wd.

Last edited:
OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front diff

After swapping out the front differential with a used one in good condition I have eliminated the wobble apparently. I am keeping the core in just in case. Taking it out from picknpull was easier than the install but i did learn a few things that made it easier the second time and i will share them now.
On jack stands:
Un bolt the axle first because there are ways to keep the wheels from roating but once the front cv axles are loose I had to rebolt them to do the drive axle. Second significant thing was the drive axle flange needs to be rotated up near the engine mount before it can be rotated clockwise for the housing to clear the front mount. If you just unbolt it then the housing will hit the front mount. from that point you have to pry it out of the rear mount (after removing from passenger mount.) The rear of the housing can rest on the bracket and push it up and then rotate the passenger side back to the rear of the vehicle. This thing weighs around a hundred pounds so put something underneath it to avoid injury and damage to the part. There is also a breather tube that can just slip off easily prior to being lowered.

The installation is a work out. I used to jacks, a bottle jack and regular one. I put wood underneath to position it right and rotated the drive axle flange up and back without letting it get seated in the bracket. I put a jack under the housing and lifted it past the front bracket and then rotated. I needed the bottle jack once the housing was lifted which made it possible to just control the rotation and then I let the rear mount get seated and raised the front into that mount at the same time as the passenger mount.

My wobble appears to be gone at this point. :cool:

Trying to understand why this is ... I have looked into the gear ratios and what could be off when the 98 transmission was installed in my 2001. MY door says I have the 3.55 gear ratio with the h9 code of an 8.8 limited slip front. I read somewhere that driving in 2wd will wear the front limited slip. The 98 has a disconnecting pinion or something that prevents this and so my front wheels are driving the axle which is causing premature wear on the front differential. Keeping it in auto awd should prevent this problem. I think the front was worn for over a year and then I discovered it was in 2wd and put it in awd and only then noticed the problem and though it was the change into awd. The transfer case is where the selection is taking place but the gear ratio difference from years 98 to 2001 would not be the problem. The driving in 2wd with my limited slip front differential which does not disengage the drive axle is what I think is the problem. There may be a differential that would resolve this for me but I am going to run awd for now.

Last edited: