Back up camera 2008 Expedition EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

case2001

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the above truck. No navigation. Is there a way to tell if my truck and mirror are already set up for the factor OEM back up camera. Can I simply take off the old chrome cover on the tail gate and install the OEM camera and expect the harness to be there? Plug in and go?

Or will I have to run the wire all the way to the dash and install some kind of monitor??

Thanks

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think In the 08s they are up in the Mirror as you said, at least that's how my aunts was, but my guess would be you would need a new mirror/ camera combo and would have to fish the wires. You could also get a head unit/ camera combo and put it where the nav display is.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
I think In the 08s they are up in the Mirror as you said, at least that's how my aunts was, but my guess would be you would need a new mirror/ camera combo and would have to fish the wires. You could also get a head unit/ camera combo and put it where the nav display is.
Thanks for the info. There are a group of wires going to my rear view mirror. I wonder if it is ready to accept video.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wires could be for the autodimming mirror if you have that. My mirror has wires and presumably my early build 07 doesn't have camera capabilities.

I have an 07 EL with no camera. I debated hard wiring a camera and running the wires, but I wasn't feeling that adventurous. Instead I tried the Pearl rear view camera/frame. Its simple to install and generally ok. It has a good picture but its slow to load sometimes. It bluetooths (blueteeth?) into your phone through an app and shows you the rear view there.

If its plug and play for you that's awesome, if not the Pearl camera may be worth a look.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The 08 will have the camera in the NAV display not the mirror. I added a clarion to my 07 with a backup camera. Mine came with factory NAV but the backup camera was not an option till 08. I'm a car audio guy so a head swap was a must for me but you may just need a Bluetooth camera to a Garmin GPS or to you phone. Pleanty of inexpensive option out there

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
What head unit would you recommend?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here is another option. I thought about a new head but I don't really want to go through that I like my stereo factory looking.

But I want a backup camera and came across this review on Amazon, I am going to do the same thing, I like how he put it in his sunglasses holder, I don't use mine anyway. (the comment by Buttburner is me, I run a trailer smoker and pork butts are something I cook lol_

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00QTGXYIE