Back Up Parking Aid Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you try the reprograming instructions listed in the TSB.

Attachments

• 2012-09-08_182236_a1.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
I did, but no success :emotions122:

(assuming I did it right - the only part of the reprogramming steps I was unsure of was the end where you cycle the key off then on. Do you come to a stop in Drive (D), then turn the car off (still in Drive), then switch the key to on (still in Drive), then after the key/car is switched on, put the car in Park, then start the car and proceed with the steps? If so, then I successfully reprogrammed the PAM with no change. If I messed up the steps, then I did not successfully reprogram the PAM.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To make a long story short, at the end of me fooling around with the replacing modules from the junk yard which made no difference, the local dealer replaced the radar module ( his diagnostic tools got the code C1983) and I believe he said the mechanic had to drive the vehicle around to reprogram it. I hope this helps you.
I'm not a mechanic (just a hacker) who went through a lot of crap before I finally got it fixed. The Ford dealer not knowing I has tried 2 modules before I took it to them, tried to charge me for both a module and a radar unit. I asked to see the old radar unit and was told they lost it after I had pacifically told them I wanted the old part before that started the job. After a discussion with the service manger!!!, I was only charged for the radar unit.

Reaction score
Oh man, that's quite an experience!

I'm trying to avoid the dealership at all costs, but the mechanic who pulled the code for free is a few hours away, and I just don't have the time to make the trip. :33:

It's just frustrating because I've replaced both the PAM and radar sensors with two units from the salvage yard, and I find it hard to believe there isn't a working unit in that lot of parts

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would try to reprogram the module a couple of times as per the TBS. I don't know what else to tell you. If that does not work, try googling the internet and see what comes up. I share your concerns about the going to a Ford dealer unless you know someone there and trust them. I no longer trust my dealer's service department who is only a couple miles away. Once trust is lost, it is very difficult to get back. In the past, I had purchased numerous company vehicles from them and gave them thousands of dollars in repair work on the company cars I drove in my job. Good luck!
Let us know how you make out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, gulfman. I'll keep at it and let everyone know how the rest of this story unfolds.