backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alincosma

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer that has a backup camera in the mirror. It worked fine for a day but after that I cannot get a clear picture, it's darker, I can see the red mark lines but during the day you can't really make anything out, at night because off the back up lights you see a bit more but it's still not clear. Not sure what could have happened in less that a day, but if you have any ideas please let me know. I checked the wires behind the mirror and there is no loose connection.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you look at the lens it self. I know mine got some stuff on it once and i couldnt use it until i cleaned it off.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
There may also be a button to dim the display. Look around the mirror and see if there's anything.

OP
OP
A

alincosma

Reaction score
I checked the lense and is clean, not sure about the dim button, haven't seen one so far. I was thinking maybe as I was driving on the freeway for 4 hours and was raining something could have happened? Not sure what.

OP
OP
A

alincosma

Reaction score
did some more troubleshooting and found out that if I unplug the cable from the mirror and plug it back again it works for about 10-15 seconds then gradually it becomes darker and darker. Could this be a mirror issue?

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is going to sound dumb-but do you have a visor or hat hanging from the mirror. I remember in my 06 I had a visor either on the dash or on the mirror hanging (can't remember where the sensor is) but it would always dim my mirror thinking it was in night time mode. I keep my everything off of there now, so dont know if the 11 would have the same issue. Worth a shot and good luck, Mike.

LarryL

Reaction score
I had a security camera that did this same thing. Some component in the camera itself gives out when powered up over about a minute. Clears up when unplugged, then degrades when the power is returned. This sometimes happens when exposed to freezing temps.
I had an off-brand camera that eventually gave a washed out picture and replaced it with a Sony camera and after the first winter, it went bad. Works for a minute or 2 then the pic goes out nearly completely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65