Ball joint torque specs ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blizzard

Reaction score
what are the proper torque specs for upper & lower ball joints for 2004 Ford Expedition 4x4? My repair manual is giving me 2 different torque specs. one says lower 148 lbs upper 111 lbs other says lower 98 lbs upper 66 lbs.
Thanks, Ron"

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied from the 04 service manual You should get a copy Contact me if interested

Attachments

• 04 lower ball joint.gif
    04 lower ball joint.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 04 upper ball joint.gif
    04 upper ball joint.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 204
OP
OP
B

Blizzard

Reaction score
Thanks, I have the Ford service manual Its a dvd I bought on Ebay. Seem to be accurate except for a few things like this. If I look at how to replace the lower ball joint it would show me the torque specs that you showed me, But if I look on how to remove the wheel knuckle it shows different torque specs for the ball joints. I wonder if it depends on what nuts you have. Mine do not have cotter pins. The ones you are showing have cotter pins. Here is what replacing the wheel knuckle shows. I'm confused.
s4j~tr~en~file=a0046999.gif~gen~ref.gif

s4j~tr~en~file=a0047002.gif~gen~ref.gif

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't notice the other specs But going back and reading the procedure the lower torque values are for replacing the ball joints whereas the higher specs are for just replacing the nut when the wheel knuckle is replaced. Hopefully that's is correct Unless someone else chimes in with better information

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll come at this from a different angle - what brand of ball joints are you using?

And going to assume that they didn't have torque spec's with them....

If the originals had cotter pins I would replace the ball joints with one's that had them, unless the nut is a jam nut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blizzard

Reaction score
The originals don't have cotter pins. I bought them from Napa. No torque specs with them.