Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to do the ball joints on my 98 Expy. My question is are the lowers pressed in or retained? I can see the lock rings around them thats why Im asking.

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe they are pressed.

I need to get my lower ball joints and upper arms done very soon too.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine have gotten to the point where they creak whenever I go over even the slightest imperfection in the road.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine's Explorer was doing that same thing. We ended up just making a small cut in the ball joint boot, and filling it with white grease. That seemed to help for a couple weeks.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i know the uppers are the whole control arm

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought the uppers and lowers. They are made by Moog. The uppers are already in the arms and the lowers will need to be pressed. I rented the tool to press them in and will be doing the job tomorrow. Once changed, the Moog uppers can be replaced without changing the whole arm again. I soaked all of the bolts with PB Blaster tonight to try and make it a little easier. Hope this doesnt take too long.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did it end up going?

I gotta do ball joints and such in mine i was quoted 4 to 6 hundred ... ewww I wouldnt hate giving it the old college try myself. I should be handy enough to handle it. How did it go?