Bang Noise at Takeoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP-TJ

Reaction score
Very infrequently I get a bang sound when I accellerate from a stop. Usually when I am turning or changing direction. The last time I had just backed my boat into my side yard. There is a little hill going into the yard that is uneven. I unhooked the trailer and then pulled forward. The front wheels were still on the driveway but the back were up on the uneven part of the yard (dirt/grass). It is like the A4WD is kicking in and binds just slightly. Does this sound feasible. Maybe the system senses some slippage but I don't notice any. Another time it happened I backed out of the driveway turn to take off and put it in drive. It is just a quick burst like the A4WD kicking in.

What do you think? I hope this makes sense.
GP
PS 2000 EB with A4wd

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the option of going into 2WD? Does it do it in 2WD?

I had the same problem a while ago which got worse with time. I've talked with many good ford technicians, even a few police ford mechanics.

Theres a set number that the Toque on demand (A4WD) system uses for 'play' in drive shaft speeds (which the computer assumes is the rear wheels slipping) before it kicks in to even it out. Apparently (according to an experience ford mechanic that works for Toronto Police) Ford realized that this set number wasn't enough to compensate for eventual uneven wear in tires and possibly faulty sensors not detecting accurate speeds. Whatever the case. He also said that they have a new flash for it, but for some reason whenever hes done it in the past its never worked well for some reason.

So I just thought I'd ditch this torque off demand crap and I disabled mine and I went away instantaneously. I'd recommend doing the same, as I've gone through a lot just to find the problem and I get a good feeling thats its either going to be a real ***** to get working again or isn't possible for some reason.

Anyways, to disable the system. You can disable A4WD and still use 4WD Hi and low. Get under the truck and look at your transfer case. There should be a harness pretty obvious that comes from inside the cab. If you follow it there should be a brown wire, that strays from the rest. That's the feed to the magnetic clutch, cut it. You can always reconnect it if you wanted. Cover it with tape as it's live sometimes.

Instant success.
Squealing is more fun anyways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GP-TJ

Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
where does the noise seem to be coming from?

Matt R

The front of the truck. It seems like when my jeep would bind a little when turning tight on firm ground if left in 4wd. It may be sensing some slip that I don't and kicking in the AWD.

GP

OP
OP
G

GP-TJ

Reaction score
No option to go to 2wd without disabling the system. The tires are new ~10kmiles on them. It does it very infrequently. I am just wondering if this is normal. I talked to the previous owner and he said he never noticed it. I am "hyper-aware" of all noises and "feels" when I drive. I make my wife crazy. I believe he never noticed it but he never really used the truck as a truck either. He just drove it back and forth to work. I have used it harder than he did and it may not have done it.

I think you can pull a fuse to disable the system. I don't think you have to cut the wire. It has happened 2 times in 8 months that I can remember. If I disable, I don't know if I can say it solves the problem unless it gets much worse.

GP

Originally posted by AvroAero

I had the same problem a while ago which got worse with time. I've talked with many good ford technicians, even a few police ford mechanics.

Theres a set number that the Toque on demand (A4WD) system uses for 'play' in drive shaft speeds (which the computer assumes is the rear wheels slipping) before it kicks in to even it out. Apparently (according to an experience ford mechanic that works for Toronto Police) Ford realized that this set number wasn't enough to compensate for eventual uneven wear in tires and possibly faulty sensors not detecting accurate speeds. Whatever the case. He also said that they have a new flash for it, but for some reason whenever hes done it in the past its never worked well for some reason.

So I just thought I'd ditch this torque off demand crap and I disabled mine and I went away instantaneously. I'd recommend doing the same, as I've gone through a lot just to find the problem and I get a good feeling thats its either going to be a real ***** to get working again or isn't possible for some reason.

Anyways, to disable the system. You can disable A4WD and still use 4WD Hi and low. Get under the truck and look at your transfer case. There should be a harness pretty obvious that comes from inside the cab. If you follow it there should be a brown wire, that strays from the rest. That's the feed to the magnetic clutch, cut it. You can always reconnect it if you wanted. Cover it with tape as it's live sometimes.

Instant success.
Squealing is more fun anyways.

Elroy303030

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero

Can you run a wire to the dash and put a switch in? Would it make it like Chevy's auto 4 wheel switch when the switch is on and 2WD when off? :confused:[/SIZE]

Last edited: