Has anyone experienced a rattle at the catalytic converters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the rattle for awhile and it's consistent through fast idle at startup and continues after engine is warm. It will get louder when accelerating. I laid under the truck while it was in fast idle and it really sounded like it was the cats (sound was from both). I meant to grab the wastegate linkages but ADD kicked in and I put the covers back on and cleaned up for the day.

BTW, I'm assuming the larger diameter cans that are running down before the exhaust is horizontal are the cats on both sides.

JerryT

Reaction score
I had the same rattle like noise but found it came from a loose oxygen sensor. Actually both were loose. I tightened them up and rattle disappeared. You need a special socket to tighten the O2 sensors.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a rattle on cold startup which sounds exactly like you are describing, directly under the vehicle. However, it goes away after around 30 seconds of idling, and not present when engine is warm. Definitely not the engine, definitely not the turbos.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O2 sensors were tight......it was the wastegate linkages. Seems so strange because it can be heard through the exhaust system.