Battery Draining Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Whenever I try to start my truck (4.6) the battery is not strong enough to start the truck. I have the battery on 225 cranking amps and truck will not start. It has a brand new starter and battery.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you say 225 cranking amps, are you referring to a setting on a battery charger boost cycle? You may have a faulty cell in your new battery, or a faulty new replacement starter. The third option is your engine may be locking up on you. Try turning your engine pulley with a socket and Ratchet, if it's overly tight, theirs your problem. First make sure your battery cables are clean, and tight, at all locations. Bring your SUV to someone who can load test your battery, and starter. Please report your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reaction score
I am referring to my battery charger. The car has almost no power with out the charger. I plugged the charger up to it for 30 minutes and then set it to 225 and the car turned over slowly but the battery guage just goes from 18 to 8 in a few seconds and everything stops. The crank turns. I have tried 3 different batteries and reinstalled the starter.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have an item that's draining your battery. You need to hook up a volt meter, and start removing fuses until voltmeter makes a big voltage drop. A quicker way is to disconnect any aftermarket electrics that have been installed. Observe volt meter when disconnecting aftermarket item. Keep us posted what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk