Best E-Fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's temp is usually 210-215 degrees. So a switch rated around there will work great. I sized my thermostat a little cooler to 185 deg. and sized the switch to match.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any change in gas mileage or performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
None really either way. But it did improve my towing comfort with the air conditioning running in the mountains on a hot summer day. That was important to me.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the windstar fan as well. I setup the larger fan to work on a temp switch and the smaller fan to work from a manual switch.

When cruising, the temperature rarely drops below 200 in my truck. I have it set to come on somewhere around 230 (so that it doesn't kick on overtime I'm at a light), and it kicks off when it drops to 215-220ish.

Never had any overheating issues (230 is still in the normal range on my gauge) and I've never encountered an issue where I've had to kick on the 2nd fan.

Since this vehicle is mostly winter use for me, I setup a switch so that I can have the fan come on with the AC compressor or not. I find in the winter, you don't really need the fan at all and definitely not everytime you need to run your defrost, so for winter months I disable the fan coming on with AC compressor.

I didn't really notice much in the way of performance or mpg increase other than when my clutch fan was working overtime and I didn't have much power. In most normal driving situations though it drives/feels the same.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I have a Windstar fan assembly and Derale 16795 PWM fan controller on the way, will update soon!

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I ended up using a different pwm controller from Hayden, so far it works well! Only thing is it'll only control one of the fans due to amp draw so I have it hooked to the large one. Will post more updates soon...

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I ended up using a different pwm controller from Hayden, so far it works well! Only thing is it'll only control one of the fans due to amp draw so I have it hooked to the large one. Will post more updates soon...

That was the reason I went with the volvo controller. You can control both fans independently. One is sourced to the A/C and the other to the temp switch. Let us know how long the hayden unit lasts. Ive heard mixed reviews.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah the main reason I wen with a PWM controller was to run the fans without horrible amp spikes, I have a lot of audio equipment so that was a concern. Plus the controller will run the fan at lower speeds when full isn't needed and has the full speed A/C override that works well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3655

All the reviews I found on this particular one seemed great, but time will tell :)

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the stock thermostat, what temperature should I set the fans to come on at?

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the stock thermostat, what temperature should I set the fans to come on at?

Personally I would set it to come on at 225 - 230deg. The motor will handle temps up to 235-240 deg. But you dont want to drive it that way normally. I dont want to really get into how I know that, but I guess if you read my electric fan write up, then you know how I know.

Last edited: