Best programmer for mileage increase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking to find out peoples thots on the best programmer for mileage increase..... I will be driving my 99 eb about 3300 miles one way cross country in about 3 weeks and want to get a programmer that improves mileage.... The truck isnt a off roader.... She is def a street queen and i would like some flexibility with hp/ mileage as well as the ability to correct for 22s/24s soon..... All the threads on here about programmers tend to lean towards hp rather than mileage..... So i figured i would see what people say..... I hope to find one that i can run diff maps for mileage and hp.... Maybe asking for too much?

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are so many different opinions out there. IMO, it boils down to the SCT X3 and the Edge. Walnuts has some good reviews on the Edge. I am torn between these two:confused:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont find out about my superchips vortex until next month when i go to alabama

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm biased toward the SCT Xcal since that's what I have. I don't know much about Edge.

What I do know is that with the Xcal you can have custom tunes made for towing, mileage, HP, etc. It's not a generic tune that's been boxed and sold to millions, it's written by whichever local programmer you buy it from. If you're bored with the tune file you can have them email you a different one for around $50.

I haven't set up one for my Expedition yet, but very soon I will.

ViperXC

Reaction score
Friends expedition improved about 3 mpg with the edge CST and mine improved 1 or 2 mpg. The difference being that he was running lower rpm's with 3.55 gear ratio compared to my 3.73 ratio.
Your wheels aren't gonna make a difference unless your tires are gonna be taller than stock. With the edge you can input your tire size if it is different diameter than stock.

OP
OP

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys..... i know i wont gain huge miles per gallon... but i had one for my 02 explorer 4.0l 4x4 and i got about 26mpg all the way on my 9000 miles round trip cross country trip 2 years ago... cant remember what programmer it was tho.....

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for Edge... as I always said did tons of reviews before I bought mine and never regretted it... also went from 9.8 to 12.1mpg... some from accurate speedo but also notice it with each tank of gas... plus for a long distance trip the edge CS or CTS can monitor 8 different reading from various parts of the engine.... better than the little guages on you dash clusters... but then again just my .02